Fermentation setup?

rgreenberg2000
User
User

Fermentation setup?

Post by rgreenberg2000 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 17:24

As posted elsewhere, I've got my first (non-UMAI) whole muscle cure going in my small drying fridge. One of my absolute favorite examples of charcuterie/salumi is Spanish dry-cured chorizo. I make a fresh version which is great fresh or smoked, but I would like to take the next step of making a dry-cured version. I think I'm set on a recipe and process, but I'd love to get some input on how you all ferment your sausages when your drying chamber is occupied. Do you just accept the the drying chamber will be warmer and wetter while the new product is fermenting, or do you use a separate fermentation chamber?

I've seen references to using coolers and other setups for fermentation, but my Googling skills have failed me and I can't find any detailed posts here, or elsewhere on the basics of setting up some sort of fermentation rig. The cooler makes some good sense to me as it's a closed system, and you're looking for high humidity anyway. What do y'all do for warming that sort of set up? I have a seedling mat I can use, though I don't know how it would do in aa 95%RH environment.

Anyway, if I've missed posted details about fermentation, please point me that way. Otherwise, if you have hints/tips for how to accomplish this, I'm all ears!

Thanks!

Rich
Bob K

Re: Fermentation setup?

Post by Bob K » Fri Dec 04, 2020 02:19

rgreenberg2000
User
User

Post by rgreenberg2000 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 03:28

Bob K wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 02:19
Here's some ideas viewtopic.php?f=25&t=8472&p=41789&hilit ... ing#p41789
Thanks, Bob! Usually my search skills are pretty good, they failed me this time. :)

Ok, so I got it......high humidity, temp control, and that's about it. To me, that says smaller is better so that the meat can provide most, if not all, the humidity. I think a cooler and a reptile heating mat should do it for my current desired batch size.

Thanks!

R
bluc
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by bluc » Fri Dec 04, 2020 06:13

I use a non frost free bar fridge. Even empty humidity in the 90's. Where I have it it sits on about 25c i am in a hot climate most stuff I see ferments round 23 so it just ticks over..
rgreenberg2000
User
User

Post by rgreenberg2000 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 18:04

bluc wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 06:13
I use a non frost free bar fridge. Even empty humidity in the 90's. Where I have it it sits on about 25c i am in a hot climate most stuff I see ferments round 23 so it just ticks over..
If I bring another fridge on the property, I may need to sleep in it! :) I've got a cooler or two that should work for my batch size. Just need to rig up something to hang things from. Thanks!

Rich
rgreenberg2000
User
User

Post by rgreenberg2000 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 03:36

I knew there was a reason I was hanging on to all my old home-brew stuff (to the annoyance of my wife!) I just rigged up a fermentation chamber with a cooler (used to be my jockey box), temp control (STC-1000 that used to control my fermenter) with a reptile heating mat, and some pieces of dowel cut to fit in the cooler. Temp is holding well, but I'm unsure of the humidity as my hygrometer decided to quit right as I loaded up my chorizo. Guess I'll be winging it a bit until I can get a hygrometer (maybe tomorrow.)

Fun stuff!

R