Smoking lengths with Cure?

BocZek

Smoking lengths with Cure?

Post by BocZek » Wed Apr 14, 2021 04:52

Good Evening Smokers.

First post with a question and thank you in advance for your help!!

I want to learn to smoke bacon and sausage and I have been doing a bunch of reading on the topic before I jump in. For the most part I think I understand the need to use cure when smoking (to prevent food borne illness) but I noticed there are two opinions on length of smoking bacon and sausage: either cold or hot.

My question is not which is better, but how long can you smoke bacon or sausage that uses cure?? Some places say to stay under 4 hours (just to be safe (regardless of cure) others indicate that you can smoke for days.....

If using cure (and I intend to, once I can find some), can you really smoke for days (cold) or 8 + hours (warm/hot) ??? My parents did a good job of impressing me to be careful when cooking at low temps...

From what I have read here on this website, the answer is emphatically YES, when cured you can smoke for 12-36 hours (cold) or more than 8 hours (hot - about 130F - 170F).

Apologies as I am sure this question has been asked numerous times.... :oops:
Albertaed
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Smoking lengths with Cure?

Post by Albertaed » Wed Apr 14, 2021 13:33

Cold smoking can be done at intervals over a few days. I cold my bacon 8 hours with thin smoke then 16 hrs rest for 3 days. The site below will explain the different types of smoking. I’ve shown the link for cold smoking below

https://www.meatsandsausages.com/drying ... ld-smoking
BocZek

Post by BocZek » Thu Apr 15, 2021 04:20

Hi Albertead.

Thank you for your response. It is one thing reading about something on a website, but hearing from folks who actually do it is really helpful. So you do a total of 24 hours. Sounds like the curing process changes the meat to be able to handle the long time periods at ambient (or warmer) temps!!!
Albertaed
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Albertaed » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:46

Salt and cure are your first defence against bacteria. Smoking times and temps are very different depending on what you are making. It is helpful if you find something you would like to make to show the group your recipe. That way they can address you’re questions specifically. There is a lot to learn about making sausage and which is what I find enjoyable. Everybody here is very helpful so keep asking questions.

Also here’s another link :lol:

https://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausage-making/curing
BocZek

Post by BocZek » Fri Apr 16, 2021 03:57

Wow, Thank You for the link. There is a lot of information and I will have to read through it carefully! Other places I looked were not as comprehensive!!! I was also looking at the books listed on the bottom of the link and I think I will order the "Home Production..." one. It looks like it will also explain things.

I appreciate the help!!!
Albertaed
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Albertaed » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:48

That is the bible of sausage making. It’s a must have
Lorenzoid
User
User

Post by Lorenzoid » Fri Apr 16, 2021 14:47

Albertaed wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:48
That is the bible of sausage making. It’s a must have
BocZek,

I would also suggest Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing by Rytek Kutas. Maybe, along with the more recent Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages by the Marianskis, these are the bibles of sausagemaking, but it's hard to say which is the old testament and which is the new. This forum has enlightened me that Kutas' recipes, which served me well for years, do not all adhere to old-world artisan principles--a lot of soy protein concentrate, for example, which I guess ol' Rytek thought was a marvel of modern food science back in the '60s. But that book does explain everything simply and provides crowd-pleasing recipes.
BocZek

Post by BocZek » Sun Apr 18, 2021 01:11

Thank you for the recommendations. Both books on order. Waiting is the hardest part!!!!