Looking forward to learning from Folks!

Dave in AZ
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Looking forward to learning from Folks!

Post by Dave in AZ » Fri Nov 11, 2022 22:40

Looking good! Getting close now...
Bentley Meredith
User
User

Post by Bentley Meredith » Thu Nov 17, 2022 22:43

Decided I would go all in on the salami making. I saw a 2016 GE that I believe is close to this model on Craigslist. Going to pick it up tomorrow. For $145 I am will to roll the dice. I am ordering the Temperature and Humidity Controller and the Humidifier also. Going to wait on the circulation fan and dehumidifier as some of the research says they may not be needed. Throw in a couple of extension cords and I should have a large Dedicated drying/curing chamber for about $350.

Last edited by Bentley Meredith on Thu Nov 17, 2022 22:46, edited 1 time in total.
Bentley Meredith
User
User

Post by Bentley Meredith » Thu Nov 17, 2022 22:45

I have seen on this site a fermentation chamber as simple as tiny crock pot in a cooler. I am assuming that a drying/curing chamber is usually separate form the fermentation chamber?

As always, thanks for the input and knowledge.
Bentley Meredith
User
User

Post by Bentley Meredith » Sun Nov 20, 2022 00:19

When you have just a touch of OCD you get into things before you are supposed to. This is about 29% loss. There is way to much fat even for me. We learn. When it finally hits 40% moisture loss I will buy some of the Sopprasota from Restaurant Depot and compare. I would say mine is lacking in flavor, more pepper, more salt. As far as the tanginess folks were telling me it might have due to the high concentration of dextrose, I am not seeing it, or I do not know what tangy salami tastes like. Lets just say I am encouraged. The little pieces seemed more done obviously, the larger ones, they are not. But I still ate them. So if this is my last post, it has been a gas!

Dave in AZ
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Dave in AZ » Sun Nov 20, 2022 04:11

Looks nice, coming along well. You won't have any left by the time it hits proper weight loss...
Bentley Meredith
User
User

Post by Bentley Meredith » Sun Nov 20, 2022 17:15

The little bit of uncured has removed any desire to eat any more till 40%!
Bentley Meredith
User
User

Post by Bentley Meredith » Thu Dec 01, 2022 01:55

I think we are there. Will not be sharing this with anyone, as I believe it is just to much fat for most. I like it and will eat it, it makes a pretty good salami sandwich, and it goes well on pizza, but it is not a charcutier plate type salami. Will go to 20% fat next time. Will takes some other photos as I slice this and will show some when the others get to 40%!

This is 34% weight loss. I think 40% will be even better, and by the time I finish this, I think the other 3 chubs will be there. Gonna start some mostly beef Slim Jims, Spanish Fuet, and some Calabresa next week in the new curing chamber. I can whole heartedly endorse these UMAi bags and there process if others are looking to make home made salami for about 1/4 the price of deli & supermarket. What I will say, and I won't know if I am right till this second batch. The flavor, the depth of flavor might be a better statement. I think that is developed through the mold on the outside of the salami, and that cannot be achieved with the bags.

Dave in AZ
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Dave in AZ » Sat Dec 03, 2022 18:24

Looks good
Bentley Meredith
User
User

Post by Bentley Meredith » Wed Dec 14, 2022 18:25

It is somewhat bland and way to much fat for me. But I am very pleased for a 1st try! Several friends really like it and I gave them most of it. Some questions to come in next post. Last 2, these are at about 37% loss. This photo was about a week ago, and only one left.

Bentley Meredith
User
User

Post by Bentley Meredith » Wed Dec 14, 2022 18:33

For anyone still following this thread, could you answer a couple of questions. I am gonna start 2 different salami on my next go round. So I am going to use it as a fermentation chamber this one time. My research has show it is not practical to be able to use one device for both. I installed a variable fan. Should it be used in fermentation? Also, when I start the Drying/Curing process, how fast should it be going, and should it run the entire time they are Drying?

Also, I have Mold 600. Should I spray it all over the inside of the fridge and on the just ferment and hung salami? Or just on the salami when it is hung to dry? Do you spray it on them before they ferment?

As always, thanks for the knowledge.

Bentley Meredith
User
User

Post by Bentley Meredith » Wed Dec 14, 2022 19:53

One of my other Hobbies. BBQ.

Dave in AZ
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Dave in AZ » Fri Dec 16, 2022 00:23

Fermentation. Needs to be at specified temp for the culture, and 85 to 90% humidity. No fan or airflow whatsoever is needed. Airflow is for drying, not fermenting. But seriously, its just 8hrs for LHP at 100f, to like 36 hrs max for tspx. Just wrap it with plastic wrap, and stick it somewhere right temp... which you should specifically look up for each culture.

Fan, airflow... very little is needed! If you just keep the chamber at correct humidity, then almost zero is needed... the tendency is too much airflow causing case hardening. Most fridge setups still have a fan between freezer and fridge that moves cold air to fridge, and that is enough.

Mold 600... spray or wipe on exterior of sausages, thats it. It will likely spread to fridge area, but that is NOT A GOAL. Your goal is to innoculate the sausage, so just do it directly, then 1/8 tsp and some chlorine free water is all you need. You could spray on preferment, but the mold grows with air. While the ferment does better without air, less o2 gives better ferment and less oxidation of lipids. So I ferment in saran wrap, or sous vide, then spray salami when hanging to dry.

Here, just go on google and type "Bactoferm Meat Manual", you will get 3 pdfs show up. Vol1 is Chr Hansen's lactic acid bacteria ferment strains, vol2 is whole muscle cultures, vol3 is exterior molds like 600. Read them, they are each 35 easy pages of mostly pics and charts of ferment, ph, temperature. Everything most anyone knows is in there. All the info on color bacteria, flavor bacteria, lactic bacteria, listeria prevention bacteria, optimal o2 and temp and humidity for each. Take you an hour, you'll know more than 99% folks if you read a few times. Then it's just gaining experience with a few products to lock the learning in.

Oh and of course, buy and read Marianski's The Art of Making Fermented Sausages. Their Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages is another mandatory read.
Bentley Meredith
User
User

Post by Bentley Meredith » Fri Dec 16, 2022 16:44

Will mold 600 work with a Clear Fibrous Casings, or does it have to be a hog or natural casing to work?
Dave in AZ
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Dave in AZ » Fri Dec 16, 2022 18:25

Bentley Meredith wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 16:44
Will mold 600 work with a Clear Fibrous Casings, or does it have to be a hog or natural casing to work?
Fibrous is fine, that is what most salami is made in. Read that guide I listed above! ;)
Bentley Meredith
User
User

Post by Bentley Meredith » Fri Dec 16, 2022 23:48

Here we go with the real deal in my mind. 60 hours at 75° & 90% RH. Then drop temp to 55° & RH to 75%. This calls for 30-35% weight loss. I like a harder salami, so unless it is different from 1st round, will probably shoot for 40% loss. Big Chubb's are 3 inch Fibrous casing and small is 34mm Hog Casing!