Pork backfat??

Blackriver
Passionate
Passionate

Pork backfat??

Post by Blackriver » Tue Jun 14, 2011 02:52

I was wondering if I could get some opinions? I always use pork backfat in my bratwurst recipes. I always grind it frozen and it is always hard to grind, in turn it works great adding it to the meat mixture cause I can sprinkle it in without smearing it. The last batch I got from the same butcher seemed soft when I pulled it out of the package. I cut up what I needed and put into freezer overnight. When grinding it was really easy to grind. I put the fat back into the freezer for a hour. When I tried to add it to the meat mixture it was soft and I could not sprinkle it in. Instead I was getting chunks in. The brats did not turn out well because I smeared the fat. My meat mixture never rose above 35 degrees. Is there different grades of pork back fat? Is backfat suppose to be hard so when it is partially frozen it can be sprinkled into the meat mixture to prevent fat smearing?
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Jun 14, 2011 04:05

I found this report that may shed some light on the subject. It seems to suggest that Animals born bewteen January and June mature differently than animals born between June and December. http://jas.fass.org/content/18/1/448.full.pdf
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Jun 14, 2011 07:13

Hi Blackriver,
I know what you mean. However there is something I'm not sure you are aware of. In any animal, the further from the center of the animal - the softer the fat becomes. In fermented type salamis and such sausages as sopprasata etc., a hard fat is preferred and often comes from the center of the animal, especially around the inner organs.

How about clicking on this link to see a discussion on the matter. It begins with the sixth post (about half-way down the page). It might clear up some of the mystery for you. Here's the link: http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.ph ... hlight=fat

Did you go on your canoe trip yet? How's the new baby?

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D