Lonzino

Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Mon Nov 05, 2012 15:20

I've done the same thing - got impatient and worried and broke open a casing, only to find that everything was fine.

Making a lot of coppa these days. They are so easy and quick compared to sausage. Each time I buy a two-pack of butts from Costco for whatever kind of sausage I'm making, I cut off the coppas. Just tried stuffing them into a beef bung for the first time, and it was great. Easy to work with, and very little air gets in behind the casing. Butcher Packer has them for $4 each, and one will do 3 coppas. I'm buying more.
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 20:16

Hi Jeff,
What is the best option to use, beef middles or beef bungs. I have used beef bungs before when making salami and I never knew that they stretch that far to cover a pork loin.
Jan.
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Mon Nov 05, 2012 20:31

Hi Jan - Sorry, I've never used beef middles so I can't answer your question. Except to say that the bung I used had plenty room for either a coppa or a loin. But the nice thing for us sausagemakers is that if we can't fit a whole muscle into any particular casing, we can just trim it and use the trim in our next grind.

Cheers,
Jeff
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Nov 05, 2012 21:18

I ended up getting my coppa into a 75mm collagen casing but its a bit stiff and difficult to get all the air bubbles out. I washed it with some red wine and seasoned it with paprika and a dash or two of hot chillies. Will be definately getting some beef bungs and middles for my next batch of cured muscle meats. The collagen casings that I have on my salamis appear to be working well so far.
TSMODIE
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by TSMODIE » Tue Nov 06, 2012 17:20

I would love to some pictures of these, if you could post some,Tim