pH rise during fermentation

Jja
Beginner
Beginner

pH

Post by Jja » Fri Sep 14, 2012 17:10

Chuckwagon,
I teach High School Biology. I just got a grant that will let me make a couple different cured meat products with my Advanced Bio class. The grant will pay for most of the consumable supplies and a curing chamber at school. The activity is intended for the kids to learn the biological, chemical and environmental influences in curing meats. I'm hoping to pique the interest in some of the kids to become future meat curers and people who apply science to their everyday life and of course, members of the forum :cool:
Much of the class uses food based biological processes to teach much of the biology. We make cheese, play with fats, and do some carbohydrate activities as well. Food has a lot of science behind it.

As for my measurement equipment, I use a Vernier labquest handheld data collector which accepts multiple probes so I can monitor temperature, humidity and pH all at the same time. Its a neat little device that shows the pH, temp and humidity in real time and as a graph over time. I'll try to upload what my screen shows during a fermentation.
The kids love these activities and learn so much of the science behind it.
As for my history, I've been making fresh sausage for years. I made over 100# for the lasagna at my oldest daughters wedding. Curing is relatively new for me over the past couple years, ( marianski's book was a christmas present) and most of my efforts have gone well. As I mentioned before, the dogs really like my mistakes, and bad recipe choices. I made two Coppa last year and found out that our family is not a big fan of the juniper berry recipies. They didn't get a bite from the Calabrian peppered version. I have a 13 month old ham leg in my curing chamer that really smells good now, but we're holding off till Christmas.
This is my fun, and a great way to teach science and have the kids see that we are DOING the science that happens behind so much in the everyday world. Plus, my wife of 30 years always knows where to find me, somewhere around the house fidling with another of my projects or in the garden.
If science can explain it, you may have to change what you believe is true.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Sep 15, 2012 01:04

Hi Jja, What a great note! I envy your enthusiasm and devotion to your profession. Teaching also has provided me with lots of memories in my old age - now if you could just tell me what to do to cure old bones that ache. :roll: I admire your style in making your classes fun for the kids as well as presenting them with a "hands on" approach. Biology is a fascinating subject. Oh, and yes I am familiar with your Vernier equipment - I just wish I could afford it. You are having waaaaayyyyy too much fun with it. :lol: Sometime, you`ll have to tell me about your experiments with carbohydrates. I`ll bet they are intriguing activities. I chuckled about your real addiction to juniper berries. That stuff is definitely a "learned" taste. How long have you been teaching Jja? I wish you continued success my friend. We enjoy having you with us on the forum. Tell your students to sign in too!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Jja
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Jja » Sat Sep 15, 2012 23:17

my curing chamber, a modified commercial refrigeration unit with temp and humidity controls added. A wide range temp adjuster was installed that controls temp up to 70 ish.

I added a $3.50 manual humidistat that controls the humidifier.
The Prosciutto is 13 months old now.
Jja
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Jja » Sat Sep 15, 2012 23:20

trying the photo again.Image
Jja
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Jja » Sat Sep 15, 2012 23:38

Jja
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Jja » Sat Sep 15, 2012 23:43

ok I need help getting images from imageshack to my post.
Baconologist
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Baconologist » Sun Sep 16, 2012 00:21

Jja wrote:ok I need help getting images from imageshack to my post.
Put a / in front of the img in the second img tag, like this [/img]

That'll fix it.
Godspeed!

Bob
Jja
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Jja » Sun Sep 16, 2012 02:37

Image[/URL]
[/img]
Jja
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Jja » Sun Sep 16, 2012 02:46

I had no problem uploading with my mac. Thanks for the help baconologist. I think i'll try a larger image next time.