Saying Good Bye to My Salami Milano

Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Saying Good Bye to My Salami Milano

Post by Devo » Fri Aug 31, 2012 16:58

Cut up my last Salami Milano this morning. It has taken on a very deep rich color and aging has improved the taste ten times over. Now I wish I had made more. :cry:

But now my focus is on the Cacciatore Salami. I am finding this one challenging. Had to fight some mold I didn't like early in the game. I also find the outside skin oily or greasy which I think is slowing down the drying time. Cut open this one and it tastes very good, a nice spicy flavor. Hope these come out of a stall as I'm calling it and dry a bit more.
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Fri Aug 31, 2012 19:58

Devo - I can see why you wish you made more of that salami Milano. Beautiful! Is that a beef middle casing?

Jeff
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Fri Aug 31, 2012 20:56

Cabonaia wrote:Devo - I can see why you wish you made more of that salami Milano. Beautiful! Is that a beef middle casing?

Jeff
Yes they are or should say were :smile:
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Fri Aug 31, 2012 21:08

Thank you sir. I have said good bye to ALL my salamis, and am casting around for the next formula. I really like the look of this one, and I do have a bucket o'middles awaiting assignment.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Sep 01, 2012 05:09

Very nice Don. How did you find that beautiful back fat for the Milano? Great even color on the Milano sausage.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Sat Sep 01, 2012 22:45, edited 1 time in total.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Sat Sep 01, 2012 13:55

Knowing the right butcher in town and you can pretty much get anything you need. Plus the Thunder Bay Meat Processing is just down the road from me and that helps :wink:

Don
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Sat Sep 01, 2012 16:29

I was admiring that fat, too. Last time I made mortadella, I had some leftover cubed up fat, just a month or so old, that I had frozen. Enough for half my recipe. I added that, and then cubed up some fat from a larger piece of uncut backfat, also in the freezer. The newly cubed stuff came out looking nice and pretty, but the pre-cubed stuff was yellowish and a bit old tasting. Dang. Lesson learned!