Conditioning fermented sausage

atcNick
Passionate
Passionate

Conditioning fermented sausage

Post by atcNick » Sat Oct 06, 2012 14:12

I understand this is done after stuffing and before starting fermentation. I know its only for a few hours and I THINK its to dry out the casing to the touch. Is that right? And at what temperature?

EDIT: Ok, after re-reading it again in the book this morning I think I understand. I place the sausage in the fermentation chamber at fermentation temperatures but lower humidity in order for the meat to come up to temperature to prevent condensation forming on the cold sausage.

Is that about right?
-Nick
Custom R&O Smoker
Cedar Smokehouse
Weber Performer
Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle
Weber 18" WSM
Weber Smokey Joe
Lang 84 Deluxe w/chargriller SOLD
Cinder Block Smokehouse RETIRED
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Oct 07, 2012 09:30

There's an old saying in my part of the country.... "YUP" :lol:
Good goin' Nick. Keep reading and studying.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
atcNick
Passionate
Passionate

Post by atcNick » Sun Oct 07, 2012 15:12

Gracias amigo!
-Nick
Custom R&O Smoker
Cedar Smokehouse
Weber Performer
Weber 18" WSM
Weber Smokey Joe
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Oct 07, 2012 15:56

Hey Nick what are you using as your fermentation chamber? I am first time fermenting this weekend, having made Italian salami and sppressata I'm using my Bradley smoker but the humidity in it is running close to 100. I opened the dampers this morning so maybe that will help. I don't have a digital Bradley so I have been constantly monitoring and adjusting the temp. Got up in the middle of the night a couple of times to check as I was worried that the temp will be too high and the salami will start cooking. At least I have the Maverick remote thermometer and don't have to keep running outside all the time.
atcNick
Passionate
Passionate

Post by atcNick » Sun Oct 07, 2012 18:23

I converted a freezer. I'm going to ferment and dry in the same chamber

-Nick
Custom R&O Smoker
Cedar Smokehouse
Weber Performer
Weber 18" WSM
Weber Smokey Joe
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Oct 07, 2012 19:12

I guess you can do that if you are going only with one product from start to finish. What source of heat will you be using for the fermentation process?

I already have a breasola and a lonzino in my converted all-fridge, so I have to look at other options.
atcNick
Passionate
Passionate

Post by atcNick » Sun Oct 07, 2012 19:27

redzed wrote:I guess you can do that if you are going only with one product from start to finish. What source of heat will you be using for the fermentation process?

I already have a breasola and a lonzino in my converted all-fridge, so I have to look at other options.
Well since this is my first time at making fermented sausage I will just use this for a fermenting and drying chamber. Once I get the hang of it and if I decide to make it regularly I may build a makeshift fermenting chamber.

As far as heat. For now I have no problem keeping the temp at 68*F. And it hasnt gotten very cold yet. But when it does, I plan to use terrarium heater. That's what the lower receptecle in the chamber will be for. I have it wired to the outside of the chamber and I will just plug that in to the thermostat.
-Nick
Custom R&O Smoker
Cedar Smokehouse
Weber Performer
Weber 18" WSM
Weber Smokey Joe
JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Mon Oct 08, 2012 00:40

I've been planning out my fermentation / curing chamber and looked at the ceramic terrarium heaters and thought they were a bit on the expensive side. The largest of the three "bulbs" I looked at was about $40 (might be less online) and according to the package only guaranteed to raise the temp 5-10 degrees. I've not totally ruled them out, I'm still thinking about giving it a shot and hoping that the insulation from the fridge (vs. a glass terrarium) will be sufficient to raise the temp to the necessary 80+ degrees.

Could you give some details on your temp controller. I'm still trying to make a final decision on which to purchase but I've been leaning towards this controller which will do both temp and humidity from Auber Instruments http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_ ... cts_id=265
atcNick
Passionate
Passionate

Post by atcNick » Mon Oct 08, 2012 06:45

This is the temperature controller Im using. I've had it plugged in and running for a few weeks now and it works perfectly. http://www.amazon.com/Johnson-Controls- ... words=a419

I just went back to petco's website and realized that the heater I was looking at wont work afterall. Has to be submerged in water. So not sure what Im going to use as or right now.
-Nick
Custom R&O Smoker
Cedar Smokehouse
Weber Performer
Weber 18" WSM
Weber Smokey Joe
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:53

Hi Nick.

I just ordered one of this temperature controller. Thank for the information.

Joe.
Failure to prepare is preparing to fail.
JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Mon Oct 08, 2012 14:28

Thanks atcNick!
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Oct 08, 2012 16:40

I have this one, but have not wired it yet. One unit will handle both cooling and heating, so you don't have to unplug one unit and plug the other plug in the other.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0057A ... 01_s00_i00
atcNick
Passionate
Passionate

Post by atcNick » Mon Oct 08, 2012 19:11

redzed wrote:I have this one, but have not wired it yet. One unit will handle both cooling and heating, so you don't have to unplug one unit and plug the other plug in the other.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0057A ... 01_s00_i00
That would be handy
-Nick
Custom R&O Smoker
Cedar Smokehouse
Weber Performer
Weber 18" WSM
Weber Smokey Joe
Baconologist
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Baconologist » Tue Oct 09, 2012 00:37

You may want to re-think using the same chamber for both fermenting and curing, it may lead to mold problems during the curing stage.
Godspeed!

Bob
redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Oct 09, 2012 06:58

Baconologist wrote:You may want to re-think using the same chamber for both fermenting and curing, it may lead to mold problems during the curing stage.
Are you referring here to an undesirable mould on the meat or in the curing chamber? I would deduce that there is potential for rogue moulds in the curing chamber whether you use it to ferment or not. Depending on the starter you you are using, the difference in the temp and the RH between the two processes is often quite negligible.

But then, I'm just starting to get into this. I finshed fermenting my salami today in my smoker and transferred it into my curing chamber. This will be my first batch.