Day 1 of Salami di Allesandra and Pepperoni

TSMODIE
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by TSMODIE » Sun Nov 11, 2012 17:47

No case hardening, but the center is not as firm as I would like it, so i am going to let them go to 50%, the wife likes them, there is a very strong flavor of what I think is the mold, kind of a sour flavor, I think its like the rind on a very aged cheese, not a bad flavor, but very strong. Is this from the mold or the TSPX?
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Nov 12, 2012 08:30

Hi Tim,
You wrote:
there is a very strong flavor of what I think is the mold, kind of a sour flavor, I think its like the rind on a very aged cheese, not a bad flavor, but very strong. Is this from the mold or the TSPX?
What you`re tasting is penicilliun nalgiovense - a cousin to the penicillium roqueforti and penicillium camemberti, used in cheese-making. Penicillium is a genus of ascomyetous fungi. Members of this genus, as you would suspect from its name, actually produce penicillin - a molecule used as an antibiotic which kills or stops the growth of certain kinds of bacteria inside the body. The penicillium genus contains over 300 species according to a 2008 medical publication. I think I mentioned before that of these 300 species, only penicillium nagliovense or penicillium chrysogenum are recommended (having the ideal properties) for home sausage production in a dry-cured meat product, although I`ve known a few people in Europe to use the cheesemaker`s favorites -on meat.

The Mold 600™ you put on the casing has a positive effect on the drying process by helping to prevent the emergence of dry rim. This is the reason I asked. Further, the mold degrades lactic acid during maturation resulting in a pH increase and a less sour flavor. So, if you are still getting too sour of flavor, it could be caused by something as simple as added sugar in your recipe. High-quality European salamis have a mild taste, as they contain no added sugar. In other words, sugar is not normally added to this type of sausage because the more sugar that is metabolized by added lactobacillus or pediococcus, the higher the acidity in the meat, often giving sausage too much "tang" or sour taste. Further, the acidity may be increased (or decreased) by the "type" of sugar you use.

It is also important to understand that the speed of fermentation is directly attributed to the temperature inside the fermentation chamber. Up to a point, the higher the temperature, the faster the fermentation. Fermentation ceases when there is no longer "free water" or more sugar available to the lactobacilli or pediococci in a sausage, or the temperature falls below 50°F. (10°C.). All bacteria require some amount of "free water".

Also, the mushy center could be caused by something as simple as excessive fat extension, insufficient salt level, overworking the mixture when chopping or grinding, or even a proteolytic microbial contaminant. If the centers do not begin to harden soon, and there is no dry-rim (case hardening), then I would suspect a high fat level in the mixture.

Keep on cookin` with acetylene Tim. :shock: It looks great. :wink:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
TSMODIE
Frequent User
Frequent User

Final Pepperoni

Post by TSMODIE » Thu Nov 15, 2012 19:01

Day 35 and the pepperoni is at 48%, and i think it is done, the center firmed up nicely, but most important to me, the flavor has mellowed, not the strong mold flavor, or smell it had last week, night and day from last week, the Salamis should be another 4 to 5 weeks as they are at 32%, and still a little soft to the touch. Just a week of running the fan decreased the sour smell in the cabinet, and none of the darker molds i wiped off have returned, crossing my fingers on these,Tim

redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Nov 15, 2012 19:24

Congrats Tim, looks good. I think I also have to seriously look at installing some sort of exhaust system in my setup. Will be going away for a while, and will not be around to open the door a couple of times a day.
atcNick
Passionate
Passionate

Post by atcNick » Fri Nov 16, 2012 01:06

Looks great dude
-Nick
Custom R&O Smoker
Cedar Smokehouse
Weber Performer
Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle
Weber 18" WSM
Weber Smokey Joe
Lang 84 Deluxe w/chargriller SOLD
Cinder Block Smokehouse RETIRED
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Nov 16, 2012 09:08

Way to go Tim! Wow, that stuff looks terrific. You've outdone yourself pard. It looks good enough to eat. :wink: I especially like the color you've got on the final product. Yeah, that extra week at the end of the drying time is critical isn't it?

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
atcNick
Passionate
Passionate

Post by atcNick » Wed Dec 05, 2012 15:50

I had a sample of the pepperoni, WOW, very good stuff! Great job Tim!!
-Nick
Custom R&O Smoker
Cedar Smokehouse
Weber Performer
Weber 18" WSM
Weber Smokey Joe
atcNick
Passionate
Passionate

Post by atcNick » Wed Dec 05, 2012 16:55

Breakfast! Yum!

-Nick
Custom R&O Smoker
Cedar Smokehouse
Weber Performer
Weber 18" WSM
Weber Smokey Joe
TSMODIE
Frequent User
Frequent User

GAY 60

Post by TSMODIE » Tue Dec 11, 2012 18:51

Day 60 for the Salami, 40% weight loss, will let it go to 48%, probably right before christmas, the center is still a little soft, taste is good, but I think I used too much fat, would asjust it down next time,Tim

I have 2 Lonzino's. 2 Coppa's, and 1 Bresaola that have been hanging for 2 weeks now, beautiful white mold have completely covered them, I used beef bung to stuff them, only had 1 bung so could only fit 4, so i tied off one of the Coppa's with string and hung it with out covering, one thing i noticed is that the mold covered the natural casings real quick with a beautiful white powder, the synthetic casings I used for the Salami;s and the Pepperoni;s took a long time to cover, and was never this white,Tim

Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Dec 12, 2012 08:44

Tim ol' pard,
It's amazing what a little knowledge, the right equipment, and sticking to the correct procedure can accomplish eh? Very nicely done sir! Keep up the good work...... you're cookin' with jet fuel now!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
atcNick
Passionate
Passionate

Post by atcNick » Wed Dec 12, 2012 23:39

That looks great man!
-Nick
Custom R&O Smoker
Cedar Smokehouse
Weber Performer
Weber 18" WSM
Weber Smokey Joe
TSMODIE
Frequent User
Frequent User

DAY 79

Post by TSMODIE » Wed Jan 02, 2013 22:02

Day 79 and the Slami is done, very mild flavor, I think nect time I will cut down the fat, but flavor is great, I like the pepperoni a little better, but they are 2 very different products, Next up is the Salami D Italia Cacatourie, and a Fennel Pollen and white Port Salami, will post pics when done,Tim

Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Jan 03, 2013 20:31

Nicely done Tim! Sorta makes it all worth it eh? Beautiful color too. You are a craftsman pard.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
TSMODIE
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by TSMODIE » Fri Jan 04, 2013 00:04

thanks Chuck, I am trying your recipe for the cactutorie, the clone recipe , next, and am also doing one with white port and fennel pollen, I just got my package from Butchers and Packers that has the fennel pollen, also thinking about doing a 5 lb batch of the landjagers,Tim
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Jan 04, 2013 09:57

Yikes! Tim. That sounds... uh... exquisite. Please be sure to take photos of the project will you? My ol' pal Uwanna and I will be at your front porch, begging for a taste... when you cut into them! :lol: Good luck pal.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon