Day 1 of Salami di Allesandra and Pepperoni

TSMODIE
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by TSMODIE » Fri Oct 19, 2012 16:41

I have only lost 1/4 gallon of water in the humidifier over 7 days, I attribute this to having 30 lbs of meat in there, the humidity has always been on the higherside, but as the drying has slowed the last few days, it has been right at 75%, i will keep an eye on it, I will be wieghing them again this sunday, and posting results and pictures, the mold is growing a little better now, but still not covering them all the way,Tim
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Fri Oct 19, 2012 17:07

As soon as I find the refrigerator or freezer I'm looking for, I'll make a curing chamber. I have everything else. In the meantime I keep wondering what happens when you open the door. I'm guessing needs some fresh air in there to replace the stale one, but the humidity level must drop fast too.
I guess much depends on the outside humidity, and ambient temperature too.

Also air change happens much faster in upright than in chest freezer.

Does anybody using chest freezer for curing chamber ?
Failure to prepare is preparing to fail.
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Fri Oct 19, 2012 21:14

Hey Gulyas - my curing chamber is an upright fridge. Opening the door for a short time does not impact the humidity much -- and I live in a fairly low humidity area of the country.

Cheers,
Jeff
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Fri Oct 19, 2012 22:44

Thank you Jeff.
atcNick
Passionate
Passionate

Post by atcNick » Sat Oct 20, 2012 03:47

Cabonaia wrote:Hey Gulyas - my curing chamber is an upright fridge. Opening the door for a short time does not impact the humidity much -- and I live in a fairly low humidity area of the country.

Cheers,
Jeff
I would agree with that
-Nick
Custom R&O Smoker
Cedar Smokehouse
Weber Performer
Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle
Weber 18" WSM
Weber Smokey Joe
Lang 84 Deluxe w/chargriller SOLD
Cinder Block Smokehouse RETIRED
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Sat Oct 20, 2012 04:15

Thanks Nick.

I just found a Frigidaire 16 Cu.Ft. freezer, I think it's just like yours.
TSMODIE
Frequent User
Frequent User

DAY 10

Post by TSMODIE » Sun Oct 21, 2012 20:44

This is day 10, and everything is progressing, The mold is starting to cover the entire surface, i was worried as it was slow at first, but doing good. weighed them today and rotated them, the average srink is 15 % so far, as an example, one of the allasandre had a begining weight of 1.250 Kg, and is now at 1.130 Kg, one of the pepperonis started at .605 kg, and is now at .525 Kg. Temp and humidity are spot on, and i have only went through 3/4 gallon water in 10 days, in the humidifier, but most of that was in the last few days, so moisture from the meat is not keeping the humidity up like earlier, the humidfier did not even come on for the first 5 days, and I had to open the cabinet twice a day to keep the humidity down, the Pepperoni is shrinking nicely, as the casing shows, I could not find protien lined for the pepperoni at 1 1/2 inches, so it is just synthetic, but there are no air pockets, as the skins look like they are in a vacuum, Tim

TSMODIE
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by TSMODIE » Sun Oct 21, 2012 20:46

atcNick
Passionate
Passionate

Post by atcNick » Mon Oct 22, 2012 02:51

Nice progress dude!
-Nick
Custom R&O Smoker
Cedar Smokehouse
Weber Performer
Weber 18" WSM
Weber Smokey Joe
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Oct 22, 2012 04:50

Lookin' good so far! :wink:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
TSMODIE
Frequent User
Frequent User

Day 18

Post by TSMODIE » Mon Oct 29, 2012 17:54

Day 18, and everything is progressing great, the humidity has stabilized, and all week have had a strong odor of amonia, which from all my friens here have reassured me its normal, but what a whiff you get when you open the cabinet, a cross between amonia and dirty socks, it has gotten better the last few days, and i expect it o subside in the next 2 weeks as it dries more, I weighed them today, the Salamis are at about 17% loss, as seen in this picture,
I really like this luggage scale I got on ebay for 4.99 with free shipping.
As you see, the Mo;d has covered the sausauges completely
the pepperonis are drying quickly, and are at about 30% loss, I attribute this to the 1 1/2 inch casings I used
atcNick
Passionate
Passionate

Post by atcNick » Tue Oct 30, 2012 03:49

Nice!!
-Nick
Custom R&O Smoker
Cedar Smokehouse
Weber Performer
Weber 18" WSM
Weber Smokey Joe
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Oct 30, 2012 05:31

Very nicely done Tim! It's coming right along. Soon, you folks will have a real treat. I'll bet you now wish you'd started this hobby ten years ago eh? :wink: Hey, you have a great lookin' helper there with you too! Keep up the good work Tim.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
TSMODIE
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by TSMODIE » Tue Oct 30, 2012 21:48

thanls for the kind words Chuck, she is a great helper with the sausages, but doesnt quite have the enthusiasm i have, I would make sausgae everyday, she likes to make it once a week, I have notice todaysome darker colored spots on the sausages, and from what you said it might be a yeast, later today when the wife gets home, I am going to wipe the spots with vinegar and respray them with mold, My mold developement seems to be slower than Nicks,a nd is not as thick, it also took longe to coat them, would applying another coat help them, and also help keep the yeast down? I will post some close up pictures tonight, before i clean them off, and see what you think,Tim
TSMODIE
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by TSMODIE » Tue Oct 30, 2012 23:04

here are some pictures of the spots, they are hard and crusty, did not wipe off, had to scrape them off, the second picture is of the paper towel that i wiped them off with, could this be dried meat juice caused by a pinhole in the casing"