Coppa, Lonzino, and Bresaola are finally finihed

TSMODIE
Frequent User
Frequent User

Coppa, Lonzino, and Bresaola are finally finihed

Post by TSMODIE » Sat Feb 09, 2013 18:10

I just finished the curing of the Coppa, Lonzino and Breasaola, and they turned out great. The Coppa was my personal favorite, with a strong clove flavor, the Lonzino was a little salty, so next time I will cut the salt back a bit, below is the coppa

and this is the Bresaola

and this is the Lonzino

they were all stuffed into a beef bung and then hung with the mold 600 to dry for 10 weeks,

the recipes I used can be found here

http://mattikaarts.com/blog/charcuterie ... red-coppa/

here are the whole pieces

crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 20:02

If you would live closer to me I would land on your doorstep with a crate of cold ale under my arm to give you a hand tasting all this wonderful dried and cured meat.
Congratulations from a jealous clogwog.
Jan.
TSMODIE
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by TSMODIE » Sat Feb 09, 2013 21:24

LOL, Brisbane cant be that far.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Feb 10, 2013 02:46

Tim, you ol' salty dog! That is fine work pal. Nicely done. The colors are beautiful and the fat in the first photo is just beautiful. How is the salt content? Are you satisfied with the final flavor?

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
CrankyBuzzard
Passionate
Passionate

Post by CrankyBuzzard » Sun Feb 10, 2013 03:45

This is the main reason ill never be able to make sausages, or met products in this fashion! The pictures would make me think too much and I'd NEVER be able to wait 10 WEEKS! :lol:

Looks great, and I am very jealous!

Charlie
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Feb 10, 2013 06:59

Tim, the cured meats look great. I really like the clean look of the mould coat. How long did you cure these products? And, if I may ask what exactly is the cut of meat that you used to make the "coppa"? To me does not look like the top shoulder/neck portion.
TSMODIE
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by TSMODIE » Sun Feb 10, 2013 19:38

Thanks chuck, the Lonzino was a little salty, but not unbearable, the Lonzino and the Bresaola had a very subtle flavor, The coppa had a real fine clove flavor, very prominant, I liked it alot.

And thanks Redzed, I had these in the chamber about 10 weeks, and the final dry was about 40 to 45%, As for the cut of the coppa, I cut it off a butt, not sure it was the actual Coppa I cut out, this was my first time, but it came off the tip of one of my butts, I jsy put another 22 lns of Pepperoni in the cabinet last week, and 10 lbs of Catutoire, and 5 lbs of Swiss landjagers, so in about 8 weeks, should have more dry cured sausage, The pepperoni is still my all time favorite,Tim
atcNick
Passionate
Passionate

Post by atcNick » Mon Feb 11, 2013 15:47

TSMODIE wrote: As for the cut of the coppa, I cut it off a butt, not sure it was the actual Coppa I cut out, this was my first time, but it came off the tip of one of my butts
Hey Tim, Im sure you've seen this already but incase not, here's a link with pictures how to harvest the coppa off a butt.

http://curedmeats.blogspot.com/2007/10/ ... t-one.html

By the way, yours look great man!!!
-Nick
Custom R&O Smoker
Cedar Smokehouse
Weber Performer
Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle
Weber 18" WSM
Weber Smokey Joe
Lang 84 Deluxe w/chargriller SOLD
Cinder Block Smokehouse RETIRED
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Feb 11, 2013 17:53

That is a good link.
Ross- tightwad home cook
TSMODIE
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by TSMODIE » Mon Feb 11, 2013 18:10

Thanks for the link Nick, that is where i cut the coppa from, may not have been the best butt though,Tim
TSMODIE
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by TSMODIE » Mon Feb 11, 2013 18:16

Redzed, i just reread your question above, I dried them 10 weeks, but you were asking about the cure, they cured in the frig for about 12 days, then rinsed them good and dried them before stuffing into a beef bung, I had only ordered 1 bung, and it held 4 out of the five pieces, so one of the Coppas did not go into a bung, it was just wrapped with butchers twine and hung, it dried quicker than the rest, about 7 weeks, but the ones in the bung I think turned out better, since it really dried slower, a bit of case hardening on the unwrapped coppa,Tim
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Feb 11, 2013 19:33

Hi Tim, actually I was interested in the drying period, wanted to take some notes and see how my efforts compare. Will be making the same stuff soon. BTW, I was not satisfied with my lonzino that I made last fall. It too was a bit too salty and I think the rosemary was a bit overwhelming. The lomo embuchado (a la Marianski) was much tastier.
atcNick
Passionate
Passionate

Post by atcNick » Mon Feb 11, 2013 19:44

I noticed the recipe calls for juniper berries. Did you have to special order that? I dont think I've ever seen juniper at the store.
-Nick
Custom R&O Smoker
Cedar Smokehouse
Weber Performer
Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle
Weber 18" WSM
Weber Smokey Joe
Lang 84 Deluxe w/chargriller SOLD
Cinder Block Smokehouse RETIRED
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Feb 11, 2013 20:15

Hi Nick, Last year I bought a Kg. of German juniper berries from Stuffer's Supply because I could not find any around here to harvest. But in the past few weeks I collected several pounds that will probably last me a lifetime. Gathered a bunch on in Arizona and Nevada while on the hiking trails.

You might be able to collect some in your immediate area. Just contact some naturalist society or park interpretive center. Most varieties are suitable.
TSMODIE
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by TSMODIE » Mon Feb 11, 2013 21:13

Nick, i bought a lb of them on butchers and packers, very cheap there, I usually order about 10 different spices by the bulk from them, to make it economical with shipping,Tim