Starting making my first batch of fermented sausages

markjass
Passionate
Passionate

Starting making my first batch of fermented sausages

Post by markjass » Wed Aug 21, 2013 13:07

Am planning to start making my first batch of fermented sausages next week. I have read `Project A` a few times and have re-read and re-read the art of ferment sausages.
My curing chamber is set up. It is a converted fridge. I have been using it to make some Breslor and cured pork. It has a humidifier which can create an environment of up to about 99%. The temperature can be regulated between 0 and 30 degrees by the fridge, on or off; or heat from a heat pad (from a pet store). Which I use depends on which is plugged into the thermostat. At the moment it is late winter here and so the heat pad is needed to get the temperature up. I have a fan in the chamber which I can control the air speed of. I am going to wing the air exchange by opening the door. In my trials I have found that I cannot get the humidity in the chamber below the ambient humidity (at the moment is it 80%+) when the chamber is in the heating mode. This will not be an issue when we get into the spring and summer as we have a dry climate.

The only ferment I can get is Biobak Ultra Plus. It has little information on the pack. It indicates that it can be used up to 24 degrees C (I am aware of the type and amount of sugar is of upmost importance). I am planning to make 2 kg of some slowed cured pepperoni and Chorizo. The chamber will be set at 20 degrees and about 87% humidity. Here is where I get a little confused.

I am going to use hog casing. The casing that I have has been divided into individual strands. When I did this I was not wearing gloves. Could this cause a problem? I also read that a vinegar solution sould be used when soaking/preparing the casing. To me this sounds wrong as the vinegar may cause fermentation problems. If I am wrong how should I dilute the vinegar?

When I make the sausage the meat will be almost frozen. The culture will be introduced when the meat is still semi frozen. I understand that I need to bring the temperature up to fermentation temperature asap. I will have my chamber set up at 20 degrees and about 87% humidity. So after I have made the sausage I place it into my chamber with the fan off. Is this correct?

How often do I measure the ph on the sausage?

Each time I take a sample from the sausage do I not give a vector for `bad` bacteria to get into the meat? So should I have a sacrificial sausage?

As I read it fermentation finishes when the ph is stable, however the ph of `traditional fermentated sausages drops slowly. Am I right in thinking that this can occur between 3 and 8 days at a fermentation of 20 degrees? So how many days of stability will indicate that the ph is stable? Should I have a specific ph in mind for when the fermentation phase is finished?
Igor Duńczyk
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Starting making my first batch of fermented sausages

Post by Igor Duńczyk » Thu Aug 22, 2013 01:07

Hi Mark!
Though way beyond my bedtime I´m so intrigued by THIS subject that I´ll kick in a few comments, wishing that I could be present in the heat of the battle :mrgreen:

In my trials I have found that I cannot get the humidity in the chamber below the ambient humidity (at the moment is it 80%+) when the chamber is in the heating mode.
Don´t worry about that as long as you can get the temperature down to a. e. 12 - 16 degrees after the fermentation phase.

The only ferment I can get is Biobak Ultra Plus. It has little information on the pack.
Yeah - and that´s because they don´t produce the stuff themselves. Try a SACCO culture next time and I´ll provide you all the info you need :wink:
But the ULTRA PLUs is not bad at all - it resembles Chr.Hansens T-SPX.

...amount of sugar is of upmost importance.
Yes certainly so - I will recommend not more than 4 gr. dextrose pr. kg mass (meat) and personally I use only 3 gr. pr, kg. to avoid excess acidity.

The chamber will be set at 20 degrees and about 87% humidity. Here is where I get a little confused.
Yes so do I! That is a LOW temperature! But OK - you will get a prolonged Staphyloccocus activity, however, please DON´T go lower than 20 degrees - otherwise the ingenious (unwanted) bacteria may get into the picture.
At 22 to 24 degrees you are more assured that the good added BIOBAK bacteria will grow at a steady pace, though the total cell count of this culture is lower than that of a T-SPX or a SACCO Lyocarni THM-17.

When I did this I was not wearing gloves. Could this cause a problem?
The safety freaks will probably go beserk and condem you to lifelong absence from sausage home making. Whereas I´ll merely resort to a "And so what ?" :mrgreen:

I also read that a vinegar solution sould be used when soaking/preparing the casing. Why? With what reason?? Is the reason stated somewhere ???

When I make the sausage the meat will be almost frozen. Good!!! The colder the better :grin:

I understand that I need to bring the temperature up to fermentation temperature asap. That is NOT a necessity: The filled sausages should be allowed reaching ambience temperature BEFORE going into the climate chamber (providing that ambioence temp. is rather low).
Don´t hasten things or you will have a TOO big difference between the outer part of the sausage (near the casing) and the inner part, with a pronounced risk of dry rim.

I will have my chamber set up at 20 degrees and about 87% humidity. So after I have made the sausage I place it into my chamber with the fan off. Is this correct?
Yes - I think so, but try to get the humidity up to 95% during the first 12 to 24 hours of fermentation and use the fan moderately - too much circulation amy cause unwanted drying out of the casing.

How often do I measure the ph on the sausage? Try with every 12 hours

Each time I take a sample from the saity usage do I not give a vector for `bad` bacteria to get into the meat? So should I have a sacrificial sausage?
I´m afraid that you would have to (my condolences :???: )

As I read it fermentation finishes when the ph is stable
NO not cessarely - it will finish when the combined parametres have ben reached in combination: Misture (Water Activity), Salt content and pH level. The Pedioccoci may well survive a while after the Staphylococci have succumbed to pH levels lover than 5,0.

however the ph of `traditional fermentated sausages drops slowly. Am I right in thinking that this can occur between 3 and 8 days at a fermentation of 20 degrees?
With Biobak Ultra Plus I would allow 4 days to be on the sure side, considering your low fermentation temperature of (only) 20 degrees.

Should I have a specific ph in mind for when the fermentation phase is finished?

Yes: once you get below pH 5,3 the water particles will start seperatinge from the protein chains and you can initiate the drying out phase, though some want pH to drop to pH 5,0 before drying out. Drying out may take place at 12 - 16 degrees, which takes it time - but is worth it - especially if you use mould :smile:
Wishing you a Good Day!
Igor The Dane
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Aug 22, 2013 04:07

I also read that a vinegar solution sould be used when soaking/preparing the casing. Why? With what reason?? Is the reason stated somewhere ???

Although I have never felt the need to to this, the vinegar in the soaking solution for beef casings is to purge the off-smell emanating from the beef casings. Something I learned on this forum. :smile:
Igor Duńczyk
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Igor Duńczyk » Thu Aug 22, 2013 06:51

OK - That makes sense, because otherwise I would assume that the lowering of the pH that may happen because of the wineager soaking may slightly harden the texture of the casings.

Wineager in the boiling water when reheating to give a more snappy bite - that´s more safe :wink:
Wishing you a Good Day!
Igor The Dane
markjass
Passionate
Passionate

Post by markjass » Thu Aug 22, 2013 08:53

Wow thank you Igor. I am glad you stayed up late. I like feeling food when I make it. That is why when I make cured cooked sausages I do not use gloves. However I do wash my hands scruplessley before making sausages and handeling food. I know that when I make fermented sausages I will wear them. At work we use alchol hand gel a lot and tend to only wash with liquid soap if your hands get dirty. I also wash my hands after finishing a task (or before putting sterile gloves on) or going on a break. After washing my hands I often use the gel.

The temperature of 20 degrees came from the Marianski's book on making fermented sausages. If it is safer I will push the temperature up to 22 degrees.

Mark

I think eating piza with a knife and fork is a crime!
Igor Duńczyk
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Igor Duńczyk » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:30

Then count me amont hard core criminals....

With your cleanliness I wouldn´t worry about contamination issues - and I hope others have read your posting by now!

Temperature of 20 degrees is no major problem. It´s a safer temperature for those who don´t have the possibility to keep a high humidity of a.e. 92 - 98% which is necessary when using temperatures above the 20´. But given your possibilities of a high humidity and temperaure up to 30 degrees I see no point in keeping it down there.
The bacteria strains work faster for the benefit of safety.

Try the 22 degrees - I´m sure it will work fine. The bacteria strains of the BIOBAK will even work at your max 30 degrees, but that would be to rush things and you wold loose some aroma formation.
Wishing you a Good Day!
Igor The Dane
markjass
Passionate
Passionate

Recordings after 24 hours

Post by markjass » Mon Aug 26, 2013 01:37

Made sausages. After making left in room temperature (18 degrees) for 3 hours.

Ph Christchurch tap water 8.2

Ph sausage 12 md 25/8/13 7.2 Ferment chamber T=20.5, hum 80%

Ph sausage 12 md 26/8/13 5.9. Ferment chamber T=20.8, hum 90%
no sign of mould, no sign of droplets of water in sausage. Fan running on minimum. Left chamber open for 5 minutes and turned fan on full for 1 min to exchange air. On closing door T=20.3' hum 80.3
Igor Duńczyk
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Igor Duńczyk » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:04

Hi Mark,

Thank you for a detailed report. Frow what you write you seem to be on the safe side as for humidity and temperature.

I do however find the start pH on the high side.
7,2 makes me think of a freshly slaughtered young animal :shock: ?

The pH drop seems to go reasonably fast, but usually the producers of starter cultures assume that the pH start level is between 6,2 and 5,9.
So I would advice you to keep up humidity on a min. 90% until you are down below the safer pH 5,3.

How much dextrose or other sugars did you use per kg. ?

Looking forward to more news!
Wishing you a Good Day!
Igor The Dane
markjass
Passionate
Passionate

Post by markjass » Tue Aug 27, 2013 02:12

Thanks for your comment. Some more data and thoughts

Shoulder pork used. The pigs are free range and antibiotic free (lovely pork, but costs a bit more).

Started sausages off 25/8/13.

Two types of sausages made 1 kg of each: Pepperoni (2g dextrose and 3g sugar) and Chorizo (2g of dextrose and sugar). Ferment 0.25 g in both types of sausage. Both recipes from web page. Two changes, added 1.5g cayenne pepper to chorizo and made pepperoni with all pork (mistake). Both were made with 20% back fat.
Used distilled water to make sausages and tap water for tester.

After making left in room temperature (18 degrees) for 3 hours.

Ph Christchurch tap water 8.2. Comes direct from aquifer. Water is untreated and has no chlorine or fluoride added.

Start. Ph sausage 12 md 25/8/13 = 7.2 Ferment chamber T=20.5, hum 80%

24 hrs Fermentation. Ph sausage 12 md 26/8/13 = 5.9. Ferment chamber T=20.8, hum 90%

no sign of mould, no sign of droplets of water on sausage. Fan running on minimum. Left chamber open for 5 minutes and turned fan on full for 1 min to exchange air. On closing door T=20.3' hum 80.3

36 hrs Fermentation. Ph Sausage 12mdn 26/8/13 = 5.8 Ferment chamber T=21.4, hum 90.1%

no sign of mould, no sign of droplets of water on sausage. Fan running on minimum. Opened and closed chamber as quick as I could.

?? Could using tap water adversely affect result of ph. should not as the gauge has been calibrated with buffer.

Ph of both types of sausages is the same. ?? Suggests that the ingredients in these sausages is not/having minimal effect on ph. If I had used 25% of beef in pepperoni would the ph be different from the chorizo?

48 hrs Fermentation. Ph sausage 12 md 27/8/13 = *.* Ferment chamber T=22.1, hum 90.4%

no sign of mould, no sign of droplets of water on sausage. Fan running on minimum. Left chamber open for 2 minutes and turned fan on full for 1 min to exchange air. On closing door T=20.1 hum 69.4

Pepperoni: Distilled water 5.1, tap water 5.3
Chorizo: Distilled 5.3, tap water 5.4

Will take higher readings for safety and all other readings were taken with tap water.

Graph from data logger is good and temperature and humidity has been stable over time frame. Note the drop in humidity and temperature when opening the chamber. The temperature and humidity return to pre-opening within 10 mins.

Question how much longer do I ferment 24 or 48 hrs more?
Igor Duńczyk
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Igor Duńczyk » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:06

Hi Mark,

Your meticulousness is admirable!

Some comments:

Shoulder pork used. The pigs are free range and antibiotic free
Thank´s for that very detail. The antibiotic topic has actually become quite acute as recent Danish research has revealed that too high residues of antibiotics in meat may also, in the worst case, kill off the added starter cultures!
Another good reason to stick to ecological/biological producers.

Do you know how long time passed between the slaughter of the animal and your preparing of the meat? And if it was a young or an older mature animal?

Pepperoni (2g dextrose and 3g sugar) May result in slightly more tangyness than in your
Chorizo (2g of dextrose and sugar).

Used distilled water to make sausages and tap water for tester.
Here is where I get a bit confused :shock: How much water did the recipes prescribe?
Usually water should not be added to fermented sausages as it just lifts the Water Activity level, whereas we wants it down as quickly as feasible

Start. Ph sausage 12 md 25/8/13 = 7.2
As said, pH somewhat in the high end.....
My advice: check the pH of the meat before you start the process.

[?? Could using tap water adversely affect result of ph.
I don´t think so - It´s the amount of sugars added and sugars in the meat tissue together with the added culture that have the most to say.

Ph of both types of sausages is the same. ??
If you have used the same culture in both sausages pH should be identical.

If I had used 25% of beef in pepperoni would the ph be different from the chorizo?
I think difference would be minimal. pH development would rather be affected if you had added notably higher amounts of fat to one of the sausages.

Are those are your final core pH readings of the sausages?
If so your are now in the safe end. You may continue fermentation to 5.0 and it´s no problem if pH reaches even 4,8 before you commence the drying out phase.

Note the drop in humidity and temperature when opening the chamber. The temperature and humidity return to pre-opening within 10 mins.
I would not consider that critical.

Question: how much longer do I ferment 24 or 48 hrs more?
As said, once you get well below pH 5.3 the water molecules will start letting go of the protein and drying will commence.
Just keep on monitoring the pH and keep fermenting until pH 5.0 is reached.
By the time you read this you´re probably there...

And I´m pretty sure that the end pH of the Pepperoni will be lower than that of the Chorizo.
Wishing you a Good Day!
Igor The Dane
markjass
Passionate
Passionate

Post by markjass » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:59

Thank you so much Igor.

I used 15g of water to disolve the ferment. That is the only water that was used.

Of to do the next ph recording. Will report back tomorrow or should that be later today.

Mark
markjass
Passionate
Passionate

Post by markjass » Wed Aug 28, 2013 05:43

Shoulder pork used. The pigs are free range and antibiotic free (lovely pork, but costs a bit more).

The debate rages on about the impact of routinely giving farmed animals and birds anti-biotics routinely. It sounds and feels wrong to me.

I am fortunate that I can get free-range anti-biotic free pork from two local butchers. Both are within 20 min drive for me. One is the farms outlet butcher. He makes a lot of Dutch and German style small goods (he has given me some good general advice). The farm is an hour`s drive north of here the other farm is about 2 1/2 hrs drive south.
Started sausages off 25/8/13.

Two types of sausages made 1 kg of each: Pepperoni (2g dextrose and 3g sugar) and Chorizo (2g of dextrose and sugar). Ferment 0.25 g in both types of sausage (both dissolved in 15g distilled water and left for 15 mins to `waken` up). Both recipes from web page. Two changes added 1.5g cayenne pepper to chorizo and made pepperoni with all pork (mistake). Both were made with 20% back fat.
Used tap water for ph testing.

After making left in room temperature (18 degrees) for 3 hours.
Ph Christchurch tap water 8.2. Comes direct from aquifer. Water is untreated and has no chlorine or fluoride added.

Start. Ph sausage 12 md 25/8/13 = 7.2 Ferment chamber T=20.5, hum 80%

24 hrs Fermentation. Ph sausage 12 md 26/8/13 = 5.9. Ferment chamber T=20.8, hum 90%
no sign of mould, no sign of droplets of water on sausage. Fan running on minimum. Left chamber open for 5 minutes and turned fan on full for 1 min to exchange air. On closing door T=20.3' hum 80.3

36 hrs Fermentation. Ph Sausage 12mdn 26/8/13 = 5.8 Ferment chamber T=21.4, hum 90.1%

No sign of mould, no sign of droplets of water on sausage. Fan running on minimum. Opened and closed chamber as quick as I could.
?? Could using tap water adversely affect result of ph. should not as the gauge has been calibrated with buffer.

Ph of both types of sausages is the same. ?? Suggests that the ingredients in these sausages is not/having minimal effect on ph. If I had used 25% of beef in pepperoni would the ph be different from the chorizo?

48 hrs Fermentation. 12 md 27/8/ Ferment chamber T=22.1, hum 90.4%

No sign of mould, no sign of droplets of water on sausage. Fan running on minimum. Left chamber open for 2 minutes and turned fan on full for 1 min to exchange air. On closing door T=20.1 hum 69.4

Will take higher readings for safety and all other readings were taken with tap water.

60 hrs Fermentation. 12 mdn 27/8/13 Ferment chamber T=22.1, hum 90.4%

No sign of mould, no sign of droplets of water on sausage. Fan running on minimum. On closing door T=20.8 hum 89.4

Pepperoni: tap water 5.1
Chorizo: tap water 5.1

74 hrs Fermentation. 2 pm 28/8/13 Ferment chamber T=22.1, hum 90.4%
No sign of mould, no sign of droplets of water on sausage, perhaps a little dry. Fan turned off. Left chamber open for 3-4 minutes and turned fan on full to exchange air. On closing door T=18.9 hum 67.4

Pepperoni: tap water 5.4 (retested with different samples x 2. ?? Could earlier sample test be wrong)

Chorizo: tap water 5.1

The time frame of testing was 14 hrs.

The Pepperoni sausage`s ph has increased (become less acidic) while the chorizo`s has stabilised. Things are changing. Start drying phase?
oneills
User
User

Post by oneills » Wed Aug 28, 2013 13:08

Hi Mark. You can't go wrong using free range pork. I breed English Large Black pigs, and the flavour of their meat is sensational when compared to factory farmed pork. There is absolutely no reason to give an animal antibiotics unless needed. Keep up the good work :grin:
Misty Springs Free Range Pigs
markjass
Passionate
Passionate

Post by markjass » Wed Aug 28, 2013 14:11

Thanks oneills. I do not always use free range pork, but that is about cost rather than availability. I am thinking about buying half a pig from one of the farms. The butchers will cut them up to how I want them. I have many many things that I want to make. I use pork loin and belly to make bacon. Sometimes it is cooked and sometimes it is air dried, like pancetta. I also cure hams (small cuts) and cook them as well as air dry them. I want to make some . I want to make coppa and filetto. I also make cured and cooked sausages as well as fresh sausages. I love barbecued pork fillet. I also make my own version of chilli with pork and beef. Half a pig would work out the pork being about $9.50 a kg. To give you an idea of small cuts, Pork loin costs $22.50 a kg, belly pork at $18 a kg. I cannot remember what pork shoulder costs.

Compared to the mad butcher (a meat supermarket). 14 kg for bonless pork belly, pork loin for about $16 a kg and shoulder bone in for as little as $7.99 kg. The pork is often not from NZ or Australia. This suggests that buying half a pig would be a saving. However, I do not know if prior freezing a whole muscle would have a negative effect on cured ham/coppa etc.

I do not eat a lot of cured pork. Strange as it may sound the only other processed foods that I eat are baked beans. I hand make all my bread, sauces, rellishes, jams etc. The weather was not good today and I made some sweet chilli sauce from some chilli's that I traded for some home made plumb sauce (plumbs came from my partners, best friend's mother). I did not have a good chilli growing summer.
markjass
Passionate
Passionate

Post by markjass » Wed Aug 28, 2013 14:29

Dramatic things have occured over the last 10 hours.

The ph of my peperroni has decreased to 6 and the ph of the chorizo's has decreased to 5.4. I have dropped the humidity of my curing chamber to 80% and the temperature to 16 degrees. Over the next few days I want to drop the temperature down to 14 degrees and the humidity to 70% so that I can put the bresaola and loin belly into the chamber (finished curing today). These are hanging in my garage. The humidity and temperature in my garage are about right for these, but spring is just arround the corner + yesterday it hit 17 degrees. It is now 4.9 degrees outside and pouring with rain. Spring snow forcast in the mountains. Fortunatly we are at sea level. The wind and snow will make the next few days bloody cold.

Mark