Locating Bio-Cultures "Downunder"

crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 21:05

Hi Ursula,
On other forums, members have used the mould that covered commercial salamis with good results. If it worked for them it should work for us here.
I bet somebody on the forum will come up with a solution on how to do this.
Cheers,
Jan.
ursula
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ursula » Thu Aug 01, 2013 09:51

Thanks Jan;I'll follow that up when I get the chance.
Meanwhile I have an old fridge that I've cleaned up outside which if I leave the door open in the evening till it gets to 50 degrees, it will hold the temp till morning, and then just needs to be switched on briefly during the day to keep the temp down. Humidity is a bit up and down, but I have a humidifier and temp/humidity controller coming, so that should make things a little more stable.
But this one is a bit of an experiment.
I also have a PH meter coming from the UK so I don't have to taste and wait for safety's sake before handing my produce on to others!
Best regards Ursula
Igor Duńczyk
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Igor Duńczyk » Sun Aug 11, 2013 17:33

Hi Ursula

I suggest that you contact Rosie Sanderson at SACCO´s Australian distributer Coosheen http://www.coosheen.com/commercial/lyocarni/ to check if they have the mould culture Lyocarni FPN-63 and if they are open minded to small-scale sale. It is a good Italian Penicillium nalgiovense mould.

Once a mould culture has been used in a location (climate chamber or in whatever closed facility you may hang your products) it can be pretty hard to get rid of it afterwards and may demand use of some tough detergents, as spores have a way of getting in almost everywhere :mad:

In a way the safest solution would be to have two climate chambers: one for mould free products that you intend to smoke, and one for the non-smoked Italian style creations where you can have the mould growing for generations.
It may be that I´m overdoing the cons - but better be on the safe side - and a good mould is a definite PRO :wink:
Wishing you a Good Day!
Igor The Dane
ursula
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ursula » Wed Aug 14, 2013 09:07

Hi Igor,
That was a great help. I have contacted Rosie and am awaiting her reply. Just reading her website suggests that they are producing cultures which satisfy all the safety components of F-LC . I have let her know that there are many members here in Oz who would be potential purchasers, so that might help.
Let you know when I have a response!
Ursula
ursula
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ursula » Mon Sep 16, 2013 08:13

Hi Igor,
No response from Rosie, so I will have to presume there is no interest there. Thanks for the suggestion though.
By the way, the sopressata was really delicious. I kept track of the weight loss, and it was a little fast due to lack of control of environmental factors, but that was a good learning exercise, and I look forward to making it again with better controls. Can't imagine it will improve in flavour, but will wait in anticipation. Thanks again for the recipe, CW.

Regards Ursula
Igor Duńczyk
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Igor Duńczyk » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:15

ursula wrote:No response from Rosie, so I will have to presume there is no interest there. Thanks for the suggestion though
Hi again Ursula,
Did you try to ask http://www.greenlivingaustralia.com.au/ ?
I have seen that Greenliving sell a SACCO mould culture; Penicillium Candidum which is not originally intended for meat products but can be used for salami as well.

Greenliving also have the starter culture SACCO Lyocarni VBM-02 intended for salami.
It could be compared to the Chr.Hansen F-RM-52 (or to some extend with RM-7) but has added Listeria prohibiting characteristics compared with the two mentioned.
Data sheet: http://www.greenlivingaus...ni_VBM-02-1.pdf
Wishing you a Good Day!
Igor The Dane
tazplas
User
User

Post by tazplas » Wed Oct 02, 2013 08:43

Hi Ursula
I emailed Rosie in mid August and she came back with this answer -

Hi Steve,

I am afraid that we can only supply large commercial manufactures directly from here. However, we do have a sub-distributor, Green Living Australia, were you can purchase the same culture.

Please visit www.greenlivingaustralia.com.au

Regards,
Rosie

Rosie Sanderson
Technical Support Coordinator - Coosheen

mobile 0408 864 674
fax 03 8080 6439
www.coosheen.com

That was the response i got so i posted the info here - http://www.wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=6630

She new i was inquiring about users here in Oz and the Wedliny Forum so i can only presume that she thought she already answered your question? Still, a reply of some sorts would have been nice eh!

Cheers

Steve
ursula
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ursula » Sat Oct 05, 2013 09:24

Thanks Steve,
I will wait until I have run out of cheesemaking supplies and order the culture then from Greenliving. Thanks for the follow up.
Regards Ursula
paulblackwood51

Post by paulblackwood51 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 03:24

Hi Ursula
just reading your post re fermented salami. Smoking time can vary greatly depending on what you are using eg wood chips versus saw dust . I find 8 Hours of cold smoking with saw dust is ample. You don't want the smoke to dominate the taste of the salami After the initial incubation period which can vary from 30c to 25c depending on the starter culture used. I hang my salamis in a curing cabinet with the temp set at 15c. 5 weeks at this temp will usually cure the product. I obtain my starter culture from Sandhurst Butcher Supplies in Bendigo. I live at Trentham and winter weather here is ideal for curing but saying that I have just finished curing a batch Friday and the weather was starting to warm up
every mistake has a positive outcome and some salamis that the dogs love
ursula
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ursula » Sun Oct 06, 2013 08:47

Thank you for your trouble Paul. I ended up doing about 12 hours overall on the smoking of the sopressata. I probably waited a bit long to try it, but in spite of not having control over the parameters it was incredibly tasty. Will have to wait till next year to continue the process, too much on the plate to build my controlled chamber. That will be something to look forward to.
I notice that the suppliers you use don't have a website at this stage. But it's good to know that there is a growing number of suppliers out there. I guess many would not be aware of how big a market the home producers are becoming.
Ursula
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 21:26

Hi Paul,
Would it be possible to expand a bit more on Sandhurst Butchers Supplies in Bendigo. I would like to see them included in our Oz Data base.
Address, phone numbers, email address and the names of people to speak to would be helpful to all our Ozzie members.
Cheers,
Jan.
Divey
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Divey » Sat Oct 11, 2014 02:13

ursula wrote:Just another quick one:
I can't locate Bactoferm 600 mold anywhere here in Oz.Does anyone know its specs or is there any good alternative?
Thanks heaps
Ursula
I know that this thread is a little old and your problem of not being able to purchase Bactoferm 600 in Australia may well be sorted out by now.

I know that this is a CHR Hanson product and I have just sent them an email here in Australia asking them where this product can be purchased in Australia. I shall report back later.
ursula
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ursula » Sat Oct 11, 2014 03:52

Hi Divey,
Last word Ihad from CHR Hanson's rep in Oz they had decided to make Bactoferm available here for us through the MBLSA in South Australia. They were going to apply for an import licence through Quarantine, which was expected to take some weeks. That period of time, I think would be round about now; however, when I contacted MBLSA last week, they still didn't have word of its arrival. I am waiting on news from the Hanson rep, but he is out of the office travelling. So stay tuned.
Ursula
Divey
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Divey » Sat Oct 11, 2014 05:04

ursula wrote:Hi Divey,
Last word Ihad from CHR Hanson's rep in Oz they had decided to make Bactoferm available here for us through the MBLSA in South Australia. They were going to apply for an import licence through Quarantine, which was expected to take some weeks. That period of time, I think would be round about now; however, when I contacted MBLSA last week, they still didn't have word of its arrival. I am waiting on news from the Hanson rep, but he is out of the office travelling. So stay tuned.
Ursula
Thanks for that. Looks as though we are both at the same point on the road.