Locating Bio-Cultures "Downunder"

ursula
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ursula » Wed Jul 24, 2013 04:47

My equipment is on the way to piece together a basic curing chamber, but today I decided I could not wait any longer so I have made my first sopressata. The photos in the posts on this topic are simply too mouthwatering.
So I have two happy little babies hanging ready to ferment. Fortunately the temperatures are favourable at this time of year, so by moving them around I should be able to control that. Just have to fiddle with the humidity.
Just a couple of questions: I only had 43mm diameter fibrous casings, so should I cut the fermenting time down to compensate?
Or perhaps the smoking time? I don't want them to dry too fast.
One final one: CW you wrote to smoke them for 60 hours. Is that a total smoke exposure time or intermittent like for the mettwurst?
Thanks Ursula
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Jul 24, 2013 06:25

Hi Ursula, I'm SOOOooooo glad you decided to take the plunge into fermented sausage making. You won't be sorry. It takes a little practice, but you can do it girl! Besides, you've got a couple of old curmudgeons like Ross and me standing right behind you! You wrote:
CW you wrote to smoke them for 60 hours. Is that a total smoke exposure time or intermittent like for the mettwurst?
I'm rarin' to go with your project.... but... my computer crashed and I won't have a technician here until the end of the week. :cry: (I can't retrieve my files). I'll get back to you later.
I'm sure glad you decided to try dry-cured sausage! It's the best.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ursula
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ursula » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:06

Hi all,
Have just done the first cold smoke of my sopressata - 9 hours and am resting them for the night. Haven't yet got an answer as to how long to smoke them for. CW's recipe suggested 60 hours smoking. I'm wondering if anyone out there has experience in how long is optimum for this. And is this intermittent smoking or all up? ie Does 60 hours (which seems long to me) really mean 30 hours smoke, 30 hours rest?
Thanks Ursula
oneills
User
User

Post by oneills » Sun Jul 28, 2013 03:34

Hi Ursula.
What culture did you use ? I have been unable to find bactoferm in Australia.
Misty Springs Free Range Pigs
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Jul 28, 2013 03:43

Congrats, Ursula!
Don't stop now! Go girl! The 60 hours was just my recommendation for intermittent smoking (eight hours off while sleeping). If you wish to smoke continuously, then 24 hours should be adequate. At what temperature do you plan to do this?

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Jul 28, 2013 03:52

Oneills, you wrote:
I have been unable to find bactoferm in Australia.
Have you checked our link at: http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=6050

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
ursula
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ursula » Sun Jul 28, 2013 05:48

Hi O'Neils,
How are things over the hill from me?
I used Bactoferm T-SPX from Master Butchers Co-op in Adelaide.
It's about 15$ a sachet, and ferments heaps of meat. I haven't been able to get F-L-C anywhere, but will contact MBC and ask them about equivalent cultures shortly. I'll let you know what they say.
Best regards Ursula
ursula
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ursula » Sun Jul 28, 2013 05:52

Hi CW,
Thank you for your reply.
I am smoking at about 65 - 68 degrees F at the moment. Ambient temperatures are very favourable at the moment. Into my second day, and will have 16 hours by tonight. Nights are pretty cold so I bring them inside to sleep.
Tomorrow I'll give them another 8 hours.
They look pretty good.
When I have my chamber set up, I am keen to try my hand at a few other fermented types.
(This is a bit addictive!)
Ursula
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Jul 28, 2013 06:41

Sounds great Ursula. Keep us posted.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
oneills
User
User

Post by oneills » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:41

Thanks Ursala, just what i was looking for :grin:

Hi CW, have defianately checked ouf all those links. Have a couple more to add when i get a chance....start foodtech is one that comes to mind. Have bought a fair bit off them.

Cheers
Misty Springs Free Range Pigs
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 20:30

Hi Steve,
The only other culture I can find in Australia is on E-Bay.com.au.
Sausage Casings Naturally has a culture for sale called Opti-Start. It's a salami culture.
That's all I know about it.
Green Living Australia used to have a Cheese culture available, used by local salami makers.
I have my doubts about it, I hate to eat a salami that tastes like a Brie or Camembert!!!
Cheers Mate.
Jan
ursula
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ursula » Mon Jul 29, 2013 03:29

Jan, your comments raised a question for me. After I finish smoking today, my sausages need to be cured at 50 F. Now I have a fridge that I use to cure my cheeses, which happens to have a constant temperature of 50. Ideal.
However, it does have 4 camemberts curing in it at the moment. THese were made with MO30 mesophilic culture with a healthy dose of pennicillin candidum.
Is it likely to cause a problem with my fermented sausages? (Not the present one - that has smoke to protect it) but others?
We can't get Bactoferm mold here. Would candidum be a useful alternative?
Anyone with ideas?
Thank you Ursula
(I don't want sausages tasting like cheese either, Jan!!!!!!!!!)
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Jul 29, 2013 05:46

Hi Ursula!
Although it would be most convenient, there are several reasons you may not wish to do this. Cross-contamination is the first noticeable drawback, but at this point, the addition would affect both culture hosts. Better to find another location if possible.

Hey, do you get to go to Germany with your folks? I hope they have a very nice visit.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
ursula
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ursula » Mon Jul 29, 2013 08:24

:sad:
I rather thought that might be the case.
So I'll have to hang them in the bathroom in a cooler box. Night temps are too cold outside and the inside temp is 62 degrees - a little warm for these.My equipment hasn't all arrived yet, so this batch may become dogfood but it's been an interesting experience, and I'll fiddle around until I am set up properly.
And no, I didn't go with my parents this time. Too busy around here!!
They are having a wonderful time in the Black Forest, eating pretzels and sausages!
Regards Ursula
ursula
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ursula » Mon Jul 29, 2013 08:26

Just another quick one:
I can't locate Bactoferm 600 mold anywhere here in Oz.Does anyone know its specs or is there any good alternative?
Thanks heaps
Ursula