Len Poli Recipe Salami Sticks

Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Mon Oct 07, 2013 16:32

redzed wrote:It is recommended that Cure #1 be used with LHP. Is there a reason why you used #2?
No reason other than other people have used it in the past with this recipe with no trouble.
I was looking for a fast culture and this seemed to be what I needed.

"Great for thin products like pepperoni or sausages ≤1" in dia.. Extra-Fast culture targeted
for fermentation temperatures 90°F-105°F. P. acidilactici has optimal growth at 104°F and
P. pentosaceus at 95°F, they will grow just fine under this temperature. They metabolize
most common sugars and create lactic acid (use Dextrose, not Sugar). Typically this culture
is for products that take around 2 weeks or less to fully complete (includes drying)"

Good point though.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Oct 08, 2013 00:52

Hey Devo, you wrote:
And this is helpful information?
Lighten up a little. All I meant was that it is no big secret that Poli keeps all his recipes secret and any attempt to copy and paste them is futile. Fine with me... if he doesn`t care to share with other folks, although I think he is one who loses in the long run, but that is just my opinion. I simply stated, "we don't need his stuff anyway", ... with top notch free and shared information available to us from one of the world`s leading authorities - a fellow moderator- who has chosen to share all his knowledge with others, completely free of charge. That's pretty hard to beat and we could all be a little more grateful.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
IdaKraut
Passionate
Passionate

Post by IdaKraut » Tue Oct 08, 2013 20:57

Chuckwagon,

I must respectfully disagree. Len Poli is the reason I pursued advanced sausage making. He has recipes that I could not find anywhere else (Landjaeger comes to mind) before the Marianski's published their great sausage book. I agree that he doesn't always give the most detailed instructions but at least he offered recipes I was seeking. He has inspired me in my endeavors more than any others.

If I can find fault, it would be that Len tends to under season his sausages. I always make a small test batch and adjust seasonings to my taste. Usually, his salt level is a bit too low.
Rudy
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Oct 09, 2013 01:49

Rudy,
Don`t misunderstand me. Len Poli is a talented and proficient sausage maker. I respect his work very much. I just don`t understand why he has such a hard time sharing his information with others. He has blocked his recipes so there is no copy and paste option. I have a hard time with his reasoning.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Oct 09, 2013 02:33

I have always considered it to be egotistical to try to maintain a proprietary claim on a food recipe or a cooking method. Len Poli has nothing to gain from his stance on this.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Wed Oct 09, 2013 02:52

Nobody is asking you to like the man or the recipes. I have books by Marianski's and a few others and I give them all high marks. I find recipes in some that I don't in others. So when I find one on Len Poli site and need to ask a question from the so called experts here I do not think answering with a "We don't need his stuff anyway!"

That's like saying we don't need cars because we already have horse's.

I'm sorry but for the last year I been staying away from this site as it really has nothing to offer other than some copy and paste that i could have found on my own.
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Oct 09, 2013 05:55

Hey Devo,

Let's not petty politics derail what we have here. We don't have to agree with everything, whether it's politics, religion or sausage. :lol: When I get together with some of my buddies (especially the Polish guys) we have some fierce arguments and disagreements, but never take things personally. We go go home to argue another time. :grin:

I have always enjoyed your posts and admired your meticulous approach to everything. And I think we kinda need you around here.
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Wed Oct 09, 2013 06:36

redzed wrote:Hey Devo,

Let's not petty politics derail what we have here. We don't have to agree with everything, whether it's politics, religion or sausage. :lol: When I get together with some of my buddies (especially the Polish guys) we have some fierce arguments and disagreements, but never take things personally. We go go home to argue another time. :grin:

I have always enjoyed your posts and admired your meticulous approach to everything. And I think we kinda need you around here.
Oh I agree with you. I just don't think Len Poli deserves to be shot down. He has a lot of good recipes and if I can't come here and ask questions than why even come here?
Kaiser Soze

Speaking of which !

Post by Kaiser Soze » Mon Dec 23, 2013 21:09

I personally have been quite inspired by Mr.Devo. His pictoral Landjäger post has been a driving force for me to make a smokehouse, build a grinder from spare parts and dream of someday having some of my own to munch on. I would use the last full picture from that post ( Landjäger stacked on a plate) for a screen saver if I could figure out how to screen grab it.

I will find the post and try to ask questions of you there, but thank you for your input and great photos
Eric