Casings separated from meat - Spanich Chorizo

Luigipilot

Casings separated from meat - Spanich Chorizo

Post by Luigipilot » Fri Jan 03, 2014 19:12

Dear Friends,
I am very happy I found this forum so I can ask for some advice and guidance.
I am new in the forum and to this world of fermented sausages, after reading and planning a lot I decided to prepare my very first batch of Spanich Chorizo. I am attaching an image with the results so far..............

After 9 days of production, while in drying stage, the meat started to separate from the collagen casings, it looks oily on the surface and greasy to the touch, after removing the casings.

I wonder why this is happening? and if it will affect the drying process and end product?

I'd really appreciate your advice on this so I can make it right next time.

Happy New Year to all !!!!

Best regards,
Luis
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Sat Jan 04, 2014 00:00

I don't know if this helps, but...

I recently brought some chorizo back from Spain. (Delicious!) It appears to be stuffed into plastic casing. When sliced, the sausage and the casing separate almost automatically. Before slicing, the casing does not appear to be separated, but there is a thicker layer of oil than many people expect in their sausages.

Has your sausage been packed tightly enough into the casing? Even with collagen, there's often more room for me to pack the mince (but I'm scared because I want to avoid "blow out." :???: ) Perhaps you, too, are too conservative when you stuff.

Does your mince contain too much water? This would make the amount of shrinkage larger than normal.

I recall reading (somewhere) about a special coating that causes collagen casing to adhere to the meat. I think it was for larger diameter casings, though. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than I can comment about casing options.

Perhaps 9 days is too short a time to wait before examining. In a month or two, as drying continues, perhaps the sausages will look better?

Please keep us informed of your progress. I am especially interested to learn to make chorizo like you and the Spanish do. (Our local Mexican chorizo is COMPLETELY different. I like it, but....)

Perhaps you would consider adopting me for a month or year or two...????? Here, we use the expression "...working for peanuts," but there, I would consider "working for acorns" if it would improve the quality of my chorizo.
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Jan 04, 2014 01:02

Hi Louis, welcome to the forum. Too bad about the casings failing on your chorizo, but the sausage looks good and should be tasty. As far the casings for dry cured sausages nothing beats natural casings, for chorizo I would use 40mm hog casings. Collagen casings are made for fresh or smoked sausage and usually will not dry and adhere to the sausage, and the humidity in a drying chamber will cause separation. There are exceptions, in that there are collagen casings made especially for dry cured products. I have used a collagen product called Naturin Middles and it has worked very well. Another synthetic product for this purpose is made from cellulose and sold as protein lined fibrous casings. I have used these on larger diameter salami and the casing shrunk along with the sausage.

The thin watery oil on the sausage is quite normal. Just wipe it off before serving. I have also found that if I remove my dry cured sausage from the curing chamber and place into the refrigerator for a day or two before consuming, helps with the texture and has less of the oily exudate.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Jan 04, 2014 06:51

Hi Luigipilot,
The meat in this type sausage will shrink. Plastic casing will not. There are "synthetic" casings on the market however, that are sprayed with protein inside when they are made. This will cause the casing to shrink as the meat loses moisture and shrinks normally up to 35% or more. Redzed is right when he says the humidity in a drying chamber will cause separation, and ElDuckaroo brings up a good point when he asks "Does your mince contain too much water? This would make the amount of shrinkage larger than normal."
There is another very important consideration to make while NOT adding additional water, and that is to keep the mixture absolutely cold. This is to avoid "smearing" of the fat inside the casing which will of course, keep the moisture from diffusing and evaporating. Also, any one or a combination of the following in any excess, could affect the final product as you have described it. Have you overworked the raw meat mixture? Did you apply the correct culture? One having too fast an acidification may also result in this condition. Was there an insufficient salt level or no salt added? Lastly, was the fermentation temperature a bit too excessive? These are all items to be aware of and can affect your final product as shown in your photo. This is the reason I keep notes with each batch. :wink:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Luigipilot

Post by Luigipilot » Sat Jan 04, 2014 19:49

Hola Amigos,
What a nice way to get so much quality info in just a day.................
I really thank you all for your inputs !

A few comments:

1- I did not add any water, except for the small amount to dissolve the starter culture (T-SPX). I guess about 12 ml for a 4 lb batch.

2- I find this issue very strange as I made a batch of salami right after the chorizo (1 hour gap between them) with the same casings and both underwent same fermentation and drying conditions (one next to the other)...... but no casings problem nor greasy/oily appearance with salami which looks and tastes very good.

3- One thing I believe was not right is that it had lost 35% of its weight is just 7 days.... (in both cases: salami and chorizo).

4- Redzed .... interesting comment about humidity, could you please give me some more info about it and how it could have caused the separation?

5- El Ducko ......... stuffing tightly !! that is something I will keep in mind for my next batch ....... since I am conservative on this aspect .! BTW, Welcome to Venezuela anytime, but I am a real beginner in this :mrgreen:

6- Chuckwagon...... I used 2,6% salt but 2 things "rang a bell" : Overwork and fast acidification, not sure about the later, but I do remember I mixed during more time the chorizo mix (first batch) as compared to the salami mix (second batch)......., although I placed the mix chorizo in the fridge while working on the salami mix, but when stuffing, the stuffed chorizo was kept more time at room temperature (aprox 30 °C) than the salami........... since I waited for the sausages to be all stuffed to put in the chamber to ferment @ 22 °C..... do not know if this might have been a factor !

I think the smearing of the fat played an important role here, I noticed it in the chorizo after 2 days, but not in the salami.

BTW ... I do apologize for any mistreatment of the english language !! :oops:

I will keep the chorizo in the drying chamber and let´s see what comes out !

Best regards
Luis
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 21:29

Hi Luis,
Check out Naturin GmbH. from Weinheim. Germany. Their website list many varieties.
I have used their Naturin Klassik casings in 50 mm.
These casing shrunk with the contents as it dried. I was amazed how much actually.
Good Luck Mate,
Jan.
ursula
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ursula » Sat Jan 04, 2014 22:45

Luis,
Your English is outstanding.
Ursula
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Jan 04, 2014 23:39

Luis, Your English is very nearly perfect and much better than many Americans.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Jan 05, 2014 03:01

Luis, the Spanish love to add vinegar or wine to their chorizo recipe. This is the ingredient that makes it unique. Howevery, these liquids unravel proteins like crazy! Because proteins have both acidic parts and basic parts, the acidity of the solution they are in changes their behavior. Acids release protons (hydrogen nuclei) and bases accept protons. In an acidic solution, the basic parts of the protein accept protons from the acidic solution and become positively charged. The positive charges repel one another, and the protein molecules are less likely to combine with one another.
In a basic solution, the acidic parts of the protein lose a proton, and become negatively charged. This also results in repulsion between the protein molecules, and combination is reduced. Charged areas of the protein interact with water molecules, because water is a polar molecule, with one end negative and one end positive. These charged ends are attracted to opposite charges on the protein.
Vinegar is one of the products of the grape. Acetic acid is the main component of vinegar. It also contains anthocyanins , flavonols , vitamins, mineral salts, amino acids and non-volatile organic acids such as tartaric, citric, malic, and lactic acids. Studies have demonstrated that grape juice enhances the resistance to oxidative modification of low density lipoprotein (fat).
The tertiary structure of a protein is what we get when the protein folds into a three dimensional shape. There is an entire class of proteins called globulins because of their shape and often soluble proteins are globular or almost spherical in shape. Insoluble proteins like collagen in connective tissue, elastin in tendons and arteries, and keratins in hair, hooves, and nails, are forms of fibrous protein. Some proteins are combined with other molecules to form conjugated proteins. In the nuclei of cells, nucleic acids combine with proteins to form nucleoproteins. Combined with just a little carbohydrate a protein is called a glycoprotein (from the word for sugar). Combined with more than about 4% carbohydrate, proteins are called mucoproteins. And combined with fat, they are lipoproteins.
These properties form what is called the quaternary structure of a protein. As you might guess from the name, there are four kinds of structure in proteins. In their natural state, proteins like egg albumin and milk casein are soluble in water. Most of their hydrogen bond forming parts are tucked inside the folded structure of the protein, making them unavailable for forming bonds with other molecules. They are all the same shape, so that they all have the same properties, and can form crystals.
There are several mechanisms that destroy these properties. Heat, acids, strong alkalis, alcohol, urea, salicylate, and ultraviolet light are among the more common ways that proteins become denatured. As denatured proteins unfold, many of the hydrogen bonds that preserve the three dimensional structure of the proteins are broken. Instead of a uniform solution of molecules that are all the same shape, in a denatured protein, the molecules can take on a limitless number of different shapes and they become water soluble.
In cooking, we control the denaturing of proteins in several ways. We can control the temperature, we can control the acidity, we can use copper bowls to beat the egg white and catalyze the formation of disulfide bonds in the proteins, and we can control the fat or air content when we beat the proteins. Holy crap, Luis.... did you get all of that? :roll:
Again, as stated above, because proteins have both acidic parts and basic parts, the acidity of the solution they are in changes their behavior. Acids release protons (hydrogen nuclei) and bases accept protons. In an acidic solution, the basic parts of the protein accept protons from the acidic solution and become positively charged. The positive charges repel one another, and the protein molecules are less likely to combine with one another.
In a basic solution, the acidic parts of the protein lose a proton, and become negatively charged. This also results in repulsion between the protein molecules, and combination is reduced. Charged areas of the protein interact with water molecules, because water is a polar molecule, with one end negative and one end positive. These charged ends are attracted to opposite charges on the protein.

So..... blame the vinegar! :lol:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Igor Duńczyk
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Igor Duńczyk » Sun Jan 05, 2014 03:38

Luis,
It was great that you attached such good pictures to your posting with fine explanations. A couple of questions:
1. as I understand you worked at rather high temperature - was the meat really up to 30 degrees? Did the fat elements also have this high temperature.
2. On the last picture where you have sliced the chorizo it looks as if you have used meat wich has much fat on it ("mixed tissue").
3. Or did you use lean meat, mixed with "real" fat elements (like lard/back fat) ?
4. On the last picture it looks as the inside is moist and not hardened, but like the surface is well hardened. Would you describe this as a "dry rim" ?
5. Do you use a long nozzle on your sausage filler (how long?)

I suspect that the case loosening is caused by what CW refers to as overworking.
Because if you hold a high temperature during mixing it may cause the soft fat to smear around the meat elements as well as kickstarting the starter culture so that the pH drop and denaturation of the meat fibres at the surface has taken place more quickly than in the inside of the sausage, resulting in a (too) fast evaporation of moisture from the surface.
And as the meat fibres contracts and water dissapears there will be a relatively higher proportion of smeared fat at the surface.

How to solve the smearing problem: Keep the fat and fatty parts of the recipe AS COLD AS POSSIBLE - and by that I mean frozen or semi-frozen at the time you start mixing them into the lean part (which may have a slightly higher temperature).

Otherwise the fermentation temperature seems right :smile:

BTW: My Father worked on some sausage projects in Venezuela at the Plumrose plant in the beginning of the 90´.
He really liked your country :cool: and brought home tapes with high spirited local music and some bottels of your fantastic Ron :razz:

I hope I´ll have the pleasure to visit your country some day even if it now to late to hear the great baritone Hugo Chavez performing some of his famous hits like
"Yankee go home" (...I do hope that I did not offend anybody in this forum :oops: )
Wishing you a Good Day!
Igor The Dane