Sopressata

Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Sopressata

Post by Cabonaia » Fri Jan 17, 2014 23:39

This soprassata (the one on the bottom) was started 12/15, so it is just getting on the ready side. But it is already really tasty. It is the recipe from the first Rhulman sausage book, except I used T-SPX instead of FRM-52, added whole peppercorns, and upped the red pepper and back fat. Very rich in the mouth, peppery...and that something else that dry curing gives you. It is stuffed in a beef middle. I hope to have the patience to leave some of it for a month or two from now, but no guarantees!

The smaller one on top is Tuscan salami from the same book, only without the fennel because I ran out. :???: Stuffed in a hog casing. It is good, but a lot better with fennel.

Cheers,
Jeff
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sat Jan 18, 2014 00:10

I hope to have the patience to leave some of it for a month or two from now, but no guarantees!

Those look great!

You will not be disappointed if you wait another 30 days.
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Sat Jan 18, 2014 02:00

Bob K wrote:You will not be disappointed if you wait another 30 days.
As Mr. Tom Petty once sang: The waiting is the hardest part!
Igor Duńczyk
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Igor Duńczyk » Sat Jan 18, 2014 13:27

Lock it behind bars and leave the key with the local Rabbi :grin: (and be sure that he dont take bribes!)

I would guess that the T-SPX made a positive taste difference and that you won´t go back to the F-RM-52 for this kind of salami :roll: ?
Wishing you a Good Day!
Igor The Dane
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Sat Jan 18, 2014 17:20

Igor Duńczyk wrote:Lock it behind bars and leave the key with the local Rabbi :grin: (and be sure that he dont take bribes!)

I would guess that the T-SPX made a positive taste difference and that you won´t go back to the F-RM-52 for this kind of salami :roll: ?
:lol:

Yes, definitely. I like the T-SPX better. The first time I made this recipe it was good, but it gets better with T-SPX. I live in the San Francisco bay area and grew up eating Italian dry salami. There are a number of producers around here such as Colombus and Gallo and you find their product in every supermarket. Their salami is on the tangy side, and also very good. The cheaper brands are downright sour. I like the mellow stuff.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Jan 19, 2014 04:37

Magnifique' Jeff! :wink:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D