First Bresaola

oneills
User
User

Post by oneills » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:10

They have a good amount of backfat, but it depends how you feed them. I used to get a lot of bakery waste.but ended up with too much fat. But it doesn't go to waste.....rendered it down for lard and keep some for adding to lean meat for sausages. Not sure how they would compare to durocs, maybe a touch more fat
Misty Springs Free Range Pigs
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 21:13

Steve,
Those bresaola look beautiful, from what I have read and heard is that the vacuum sealing with soften the hard rim a bit.
I noticed that you had double stretch netting on them. I am tracking down some extra heavy duty stretch netting.
Their samples should arrive here any-day and I you like I will send them on to you.
Cheers,
Jan.
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Jul 13, 2014 21:33

I'll second that, the breasola looks superb! And I know that it's tough to dry it perfectly even since the meat is so dense and lean. From my experience, and I have now done several, it makes a whole lot of difference if the meat is cased and has a nice coat of mould. Having said that, I have also tried breasola made by Italian craftsmen and it also had dry edges. Recently I had some bünden fleisch which is a Swiss version, dried in the outdoor mountain air, and it was dried quite uniformly. But, I suspect it was not dried for more than 3 weeks.
Aaron
User
User

Post by Aaron » Mon Jul 14, 2014 13:01

That looks really nice one ills

They look much bigger cuts of meat than mine..I only hung for 3 weeks so I'm guessing you took 6 because the cuts were bigger?...Mine started at just under a Kilo

Aaron
Janlab
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Janlab » Tue Jul 15, 2014 13:46

Red,
Bündenleisch or büntnerfleisch is also pressed to give it the "square" appearance. It is thought that that also helps with distributing the moisture uniformly. It is lovely stuff!
Jan L