Primary bind for salamis

ursula
Passionate
Passionate

Primary bind for salamis

Post by ursula » Sun Jul 06, 2014 02:36

Having looked at NorCalki's lovely primary binds in a previous thread (Tips to save you grief) got me wondering if the primary bind of a salami should be a little less developed given that it's a different style of sausage. Can overworking the primary bind be more deleterious for any particular type of sausage?
For example, I would think that you would work the meat more for an emulsified type sausage. Or have I got it wrong?
Ursula
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Jul 06, 2014 19:32

Hi Ursula,
Nope... You are absolutely correct. In a salami, more often than not, very little mixing is done to develop the proteins. It depends upon the recipe being followed. A procedure more akin to "folding" is mostly used, and of course, the grind is much larger than that used for an emulsified sausage.
Ursula, you asked:
Can overworking the primary bind be more deleterious for any particular type of sausage?
It really shows up in kabanosy and that's the reason most recipes caution the maker about overworking the mixture. However, in some types of emulsified sausages, a little overworking the development of actomyocin adds an interesting texture in my opinion. In narrow, chewy, "snack-stix" it is a desired quality.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Jul 12, 2014 06:50

From my experience, (limited as it is), I have found that that mixing the prepared meat is quite finicky. If you undermix, you will have air pockets and poor binding, resulting in a soft mushy centre. If you over mix the salami will be rubbery. So, go figure. :shock: :shock:
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 08:06

I have made salamis for many years with Italian friends in Victoria for many years.
None of the meat was over worked as far as I am concerned.
All the minced pork/fat was laid out 4"thick, spices and salt on top and hand mixed/turned over and hand mixed, the meat mass stuck to your hands by then.
No more than 5 minutes hand mixing and with a spell in between to consume some home made plonk.
Immediately stuffed in cow bungs and to mature in a small shed with a small smokey fire
to keep the frost at bay.
After several weeks, these guys knew by the feel of the salamis if they were ready to eat.
The were never wrong!!!!!!!!!
Cheers,
Jan.