soy protein concentrate instead of skim milk powder?

cogboy
Frequent User
Frequent User

soy protein concentrate instead of skim milk powder?

Post by cogboy » Sun Aug 03, 2014 19:04

I am reading a umai bag recipe for venison salami. It requires 1/2 cup of skim milk powder, can I substitute soy protein concentrate instead ? Thanks, Dave
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Aug 03, 2014 22:04

I think that if you were making a smoked sausage, then either one would work, since they are used as a binder and a moisture carrier. But in a salami, the milk powder may have something to do with the fermentation process, you certainly dont want to add an agent that will retain water. On the other hand, I would ask why is it necessary at all? Traditional salami recipies don't use it, and neither do I. Many of Len Poli's recipes do include milk powder and your recipe probably was inspired him.
cogboy
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by cogboy » Sun Aug 03, 2014 22:16

Redzed, what you are saying makes perfect sense but I had better follow their recipe to the letter. I don't want to have a crappy finished product because of my doings !
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Aug 04, 2014 07:37

Dave, if you read my reply again, that is what I intimated in my reply. Your question was whether you can substitute soy for milk, and I tried to answer that. In the second part, I simply wondered out loud whether the milk powder is necessary in salami in the first place. There is probably a logical explanation and a reason. A high number of commercially produced salami contain the milk powder.
cogboy
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by cogboy » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:01

Redzed ,I understood what you were saying, sorry if my response was taken differently . I appreciate the help sir ! :grin: Dave