Sbriciolona (crumbly fennel salami)

redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Aug 10, 2014 03:06

Sbriciolona is simply a young finocchiona salame, not fully dried and therefore soft and crumbly. Being somewhat partial to finocchiona, I decided to give this one a try. The recipe is basically what I did in my previous curing experiments in making finocchiona but was inspired to make it a bit more spicy after reading the recipe in In The Charcuterie: The Fatted Calf's Guide to Making Sausage, Salumi, Pates, Roasts, Confits, and Other Meaty Goods, by Taylor Boetticher and Toponia Miller. The book is more for the coffee table than a charcuterie manual, but is inspirational and has some good flavour combos. If you like fresh or smoked Italian sausage with a bit of heat, this is the salame to go for. The flavour is outstanding. With a bit of bread, provolone, glass or or two of chianti, and you will find yourself in Tuscan heaven.

Recipe for 1kg. of meat and fat
800g Class I meat (I used lean pork butt and ham meat)
200g hard back fat
22.5g fine sea salt
2.5g Cure #2
.2g mace
1.5g ground hot chili powder
1.5g chili flakes
4g fennel seeds, toasted and ground
1.5g garlic powder
2g finely ground white pepper
1.5g corn syrup solids
1.5g dextrose
1g sucrose
30ml dry red vino (I used Amarone)
.3g TSP-X
Cube the meat and half the fat to the size your grinder handles the best. Add the salt and Cure 2, mix well and place in fridge for 48hrs.
Cube the remaining fat to about 6 to 7 mm., and refrigerate.
After two days, semi-freeze the prepared fat and meat. Awaken the starter culture in a bit of distilled water and a pinch of dextrose. Grind the meat and large chunks of fat through the 8mm plate. Mix in the hand-cubed fat. Add the seasonings, and mix throughly, taking care not to over mix it.
Stuff into beef middles (60mm appropriate synthetics will also work)
Ferment at 18-20C, >90% RH for 48 hrs
Inoculate with mould (before or after fermentation)
Dry at 11-14C, 75-80% RH for three to four weeks.
Last edited by redzed on Tue Aug 25, 2015 17:20, edited 2 times in total.
cogboy
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by cogboy » Sun Aug 10, 2014 23:05

Redzed, you are driving me nuts with all these fine products! I have too little time and way to many of your projects i want to try ! :mrgreen:
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Aug 11, 2014 06:29

Next time I mke this sausage it will be without the cubed fat. Otherwise, the flavour panel is perfect and it's delicious. Will eat half of it while it is still soft a and crumbly and leave the other half for another 2-3 weeks to firm up. Definately a salami to consider. No reason why it would not work with the Umai method.
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Sep 03, 2014 03:19

Below is a pic of the same salame, no longer a Sbriciolona, it's now a spicy Finocchiona. The additional three weeks of curing have made the flavours more intense yet overall it is smooth, balanced and mature. This recipe is a keeper.

Darwin
User
User

Post by Darwin » Wed Sep 03, 2014 04:20

That sure is some nice lookin salami :wink:
My Dr tells me not to eat such things... I don't like him much.
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Sep 03, 2014 06:09

Every time my 90 year old dad goes to visit his cardiologist he takes him several rings of freshly smoked kielbasa. Darwin, I suggest you find a Polish physician!Image
Darwin
User
User

Post by Darwin » Wed Sep 03, 2014 06:51

redzed wrote:Every time my 90 year old dad goes to visit his cardiologist he takes him several rings of freshly smoked kielbasa. Darwin, I suggest you find a Polish physician![url=http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/cook/ ... ausage.gif]Image[/URL]
My primary care physician is an old WASP and the cardiologist like curry... :roll: Yea, I guess I should look for new ones. :wink:
cogboy
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by cogboy » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:43

Redzed , that sausage looked good before BUT now its really looking good !!!
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Wed Sep 03, 2014 14:50

Wow I like the look of that a lot better now Chris!

The "raw" mouth feel of the soft stuff I just cant acquire a taste for.

The spicy taste profile of that Finocchiona is giving me ideas for a venison salami, which is next up after I get the humidity level down in the chamber 15 kilos of new stuff in a short period of time was not such a good idea. The mold likes it though!

I notice you are using sodium erythorbate again. It must be making a difference in the color?
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Sep 04, 2014 00:16

Bob K wrote:The "raw" mouth feel of the soft stuff I just cant acquire a taste for.
I actually had a good mouthful to taste that salami after two days of fermentation. From that moment I knew it was going to be good. :lol: Ate most of the sample meat used for testing the pH.