Adding Wine To Salami

Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Adding Wine To Salami

Post by Devo » Sun Jan 25, 2015 00:44

OK so a lot of recipes for dry cure salami call for a red or port wine. Any time I have added it I really found the taste not to my liking. So my question is this. Is it a game changer if I don't add it? How many can take it or leave it? I'm not a wine drinker so maybe thats my problem Image
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 04:18

Hi Devo,
Most of my Italian friends don't add red wine at all, just salt, spices and some add home made paprika paste.
I will be making some salami shortly and will make some with and without red wine, just to give me piece of mind.
Cheers,
Jan.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sun Jan 25, 2015 15:13

I hardly ever add the wine Devo. The few times I did did not to seem to make a taste difference.
The small amount of missing liquid won't make any difference in the recipe otherwise.
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Sun Jan 25, 2015 17:14

Thanks guys for the input. That was my thinking also that it really shouldn't make to much of a difference if any. Going to be making Genoa Salami in the dry bags and the recipe calls for red wine and I will be leaving it out.
Igor Duńczyk
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Igor Duńczyk » Mon Jan 26, 2015 20:53

To my best of knowlegde the wine adding is often a gimmick to infuse some fake "authenticity" like "Spanish red wine in a chorizo", "Egri Bulls Blood in a Hungarian Salami" etc. but without much significance for the final taste. However some profiled liqueur like Cognac or Whiskey may give an effect but again, the amount may have to be so pronounced that it may interfere with the fermentation process.
Wishing you a Good Day!
Igor The Dane
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Tue Jan 27, 2015 01:30

A friend of mine was talking to an old Italian lady and he asked her why she added wine to her soppressata. Her reply was,
You know, to kill the bugs!
Meaning the bugs on the casings they had just cleaned.

So if you wanna kill dem bugs you best use the wine. :mrgreen:
redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Jan 27, 2015 07:33

We've had this discussion s few times already:
http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=7400
http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=7283

I always add a splash of wine when making Italian salami. It can't hurt and most Italian recipes call for it. And it's a good excuse to open a bottle of that promitivo or chianti.Image
BriCan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by BriCan » Tue Jan 27, 2015 07:42

It all boils down to how you are adding wine to the product ....

It seems that 'just adding wine' to the mix will not IMO do much .....

Now adding it as a fermentation .. this dose work

I use Rum in Landjäger and Cervelet Salami

Cognac in Hungarian Salami

Chianti red wine in Italian Salami

Van Der Hum in Duck salami
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 19:43

Hi Robert,
Good to see you back on the forum. I don't know where you get the spare time to do all these things as I see that you are also rather busy on Facebook.
That's all I am going to say!!!! as I have told you lots of times to stop working your Pommy Arse off and takers things a bit easier.
Cheers mate,
Jan.
BriCan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by BriCan » Wed Jan 28, 2015 02:38

crustyo44 wrote:Hi Robert,
Good to see you back on the forum.
Thanks Jan, its good to be back :smile:
I don't know where you get the spare time to do all these things as I see that you are also rather busy on Facebook.
Keep that up Jan and everyone will be taking a look at the good stuff :wink: ... besides believe it or not I am not working as hard as I used too :lol:
That's all I am going to say!!!! as I have told you lots of times to stop working your Pommy Arse off and takers things a bit easier.
Cheers mate,
Jan.

I'm teaching the young'uns and thinking of writing that book ... remember .. if I quit I will die from the inside out ... now you would not want that on your head :wink: