Coppa

ericrice
Beginner
Beginner

Post by ericrice » Thu Feb 25, 2016 16:36

It is. As I got more comfortable and focused on producing larger quantities I "upgraded" a bit. My early chamber was an area in the unfinished part of our basement enclosed with clear plastic painters tarps in an attempt to keep humidity up. Worked fine for me. However a few years back I had the curing room you see built when we were having our kitchen redone. It's in the same area that was tarped but I had them build the room using green board (for those not in the states, water resistant drywall). The ability to close the door, or open to varying degrees, combined with a humidistat, humidifier and a small computer fan that cycles with the humidifier has made the conditions much easier to control (and the humidifier needs to be filled much less often). Unfortunately with the demands of work I've only done coppa, bresaola, and bacon/pancetta the last two years but done tons of both. Much less time needed for them over mixing, stuffing, cleaning up and fermenting. I do hope to get back to salami's but soon the season here will be over for the year :oops:
Occupation?? Part time Butcher, Chef, Microbiologist, Scientist and Meteorologist – does what pays the bills really matter?

Eric