Italian sausage questions

LOUSANTELLO
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by LOUSANTELLO » Sun Feb 21, 2016 15:52

He brought one over on January 30th. His decreased close to 50% in 3 weeks. His were more firm. As far as taste, we both used whole peppercorn and red pepper flakes,,,that's it. Mine has a little more hint of red pepper. The biggest difference was mine has the taste of the mold smell I had in the refrigerator,,,that hint of cheesy smell, which I assume is from the white mold. Without that, his are more bland. I like mine better due to the flavor. So here's a question,,,If I want to make dried sausage, do I use the same #2 instacure? Do I still use the same 2.5-3% salt? Do I still ferment at 73 degrees and monitor the PH? If so, I would imagine everything is the same procedure except maybe adding some fennel and a faster drying time? If I don't want white mold because I would rather chew them up with casings on, how do I avoid it?
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sun Feb 21, 2016 16:23

What type of sausage do you plan to make, a dried sausage like your soppressata or a semi dried like your brothers that he drys for a week or so
LOUSANTELLO
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by LOUSANTELLO » Sun Feb 21, 2016 16:38

Both, One fully dry for eating and one to firm up the casing for cooking.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sun Feb 21, 2016 17:07

For the dried one use the same method as your sopprassata, salt, cure #2, culture, ferment, and dry. If you are going to use the smaller dia hog casings the drying time will be less, not sure how edible they are after drying. Just wipe the mold off as it forms with a vinegar and water solution.
The fresh really needs no cure.
LOUSANTELLO
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by LOUSANTELLO » Sun Feb 21, 2016 17:31

I would like to dry some just to firm up the casings made for cooking. It gives them more of a bite. They cook real well sliced in a frying pan with garlic and swiss chard. I don't need instacure? Do I still ferment them? They will be hanging for a week or so, then freeze them.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sun Feb 21, 2016 18:16

I don't know Lou, if you add cure you will no longer have a "fresh" sausage. The color, texture, and probably the taste will change.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sun Feb 21, 2016 22:53

LOUSANTELLO wrote: If I don't want white mold because I would rather chew them up with casings on, how do I avoid it?
Cold smoke them for a day or two and you shouldn't have mold.
LOUSANTELLO
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by LOUSANTELLO » Mon Feb 22, 2016 00:23

One more question. Now that the soppressata are cured and vacuum packed, can I assume they are shippable at regular temperatures?
LOUSANTELLO
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by LOUSANTELLO » Mon Feb 22, 2016 00:30

Oh my, I know nothing about cold smoking. Whats the procedure? Read the book? Lol. When does the smoking process come into all of this?
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Mon Feb 22, 2016 02:21

Cold smoke before the mold grows during the drying phase
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Mon Feb 22, 2016 16:31

LOUSANTELLO wrote:One more question. Now that the soppressata are cured and vacuum packed, can I assume they are shippable at regular temperatures?
No problem in the cooler months Lou.
harleykids
Passionate
Passionate

Post by harleykids » Mon Feb 22, 2016 20:56

Cold smoking is great, but only if you want the taste of smoke. Smioke naturally prevents molds, but it also imparts smoke taste and flavor to your final product. I like some of my salumi smoked, but not all my salumi smoked.

If you want a dried salami with no smoke taste, and no mold, then the only way is to wipe off the mold as is grows.

Just an idea now that I think about it....you may want to try possibly soaking your cases in a natural mold inhibitor. OR after stuffing, dipping them or spraying them with a natural mold inhibitor. You can read up on Natamycin and Potassium Sorbate, both are used to prohibit mold growth on foods.

I will post a new topic with some info I found on the web, then you can check all the forum responses there. Will title the new thread "Mold Inhibitor for dried Salumi"