(or just add 16 grams fennel)
Mace 6.3 gram
Hot Chili or cayenne powder 9.5 gram
Dextrose 9.5 gram
Saltedtyme30
User
User

Post by Saltedtyme30 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 20:40

I used a recipe from the chef from Olympic provisions. Seemed ok and couldn't get a response on here I didnt want to try and do the math and mess it up and didn't have some of ingredients listed. I notice you mention 2 times the salt and less dextrose ? Everyone is different in the salami world I see lol it's kinda cool to see all peoples methods.
Philip Anthony
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Jan 20, 2016 21:47

Saltedtyme30 wrote:I used a recipe from the chef from Olympic provisions. Seemed ok and couldn't get a response on here I didnt want to try and do the math and mess it up and didn't have some of ingredients listed. I notice you mention 2 times the salt and less dextrose ? Everyone is different in the salami world I see lol it's kinda cool to see all peoples methods.
Making sausages is fun and rewarding because we can create something that we like and use ingredients that reflect not only our personal tastes but also our cultural and regional tastes. We can experiment and use whatever spices and herbs we like. However, when it comes to the use of salt in fermented dry cured products, there are regulations and standards. Unlike fresh sausage, where you can even use salt substitutes because salt is used only to flavour the meat, in dry cured sausage salt is used to extract proteins which make the glue to bind the meat and fat particles, and if you read our recent hurdle technology discussion, salt is essential in producing a safe product. I protects the salami from spoilage bacteria and forces water out of the meat cells.

For this reason it is recommended that you use at least 2.5% salt (salt and curing salt aggregate).

I have the Olympia Provisions book and it does not have this recipe in it. For the salami recipes that are in the book Elias Cairo recommends 2.6% salt and 2% #2. Do you have a link to the recipe that you posted?
Saltedtyme30
User
User

Post by Saltedtyme30 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 22:17

Sorry was from maiiarts blog. I just added orange instead. So basically I ruined yet another batch ? Lol google salami rececipe and its maiitai something :cry: : :wink: cry:
Philip Anthony
Saltedtyme30
User
User

Post by Saltedtyme30 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 22:55

Philip Anthony
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Jan 20, 2016 23:10

OY! I looked at that recipe by Matt Wright and indeed he used the amount of salt that you posted. BUT! You did not read part 2 of his salami experiment, where he tossed the sausage!
http://mattikaarts.com/blog/home-cured-salami-finished/

But Philip don't toss yours yet. You have almost 2g/kg salt in your mix, and if everything else will go well, it probably will be OK. There are guys that use that amount and are successful. I think our member Brican uses low salt and no cultures, but dries at a temp of 4C. So relax, be patient, and give it 6 weeks or so in the chamber. :grin: Let it dry to a 40% loss which should take it below the 86 water activity mark, making it safe to eat.
Saltedtyme30
User
User

Post by Saltedtyme30 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 00:36

Same fermentation and ph at end ?
Philip Anthony
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Jan 21, 2016 02:33

Where the measurement of pH is most important is during the first 48 hours (and up to 72 hours). That is the period that an increase in lactic acid will form one of the safety hurdles. What happens after that is a lot less important and by the time that the salami is safe due to the low water activity the pH will have often returned to the starting number, especially if is covered in mould and has been drying for a long time. And that is a good thing, the salami will be milder tasting and smoother, without any distinct tang. I almost never check the pH at the end, and only once or twice during the first week or two after transfer to the curing chamber.

Salted, I think you worry too much! :lol:
LOUSANTELLO
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by LOUSANTELLO » Thu Jan 21, 2016 02:59

Take it from redzed. Don't toss them. I was sitting at 1% salt and I decided to toss them. I bet I could've been eating them by now. I just talked to a bunch of old geezers that still don't use cure. Salt only, no cultures. They make 400-500 pounds per year. They use 2% salt. Their curing time takes longer, but it still works. They've been doing it for years. They monitor their cantina at 53-55 degrees and 60-65 humidity.
Saltedtyme30
User
User

Post by Saltedtyme30 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 05:05

redzed, I do worry too much. What's funny is that my grandparents did this back when I was a kid so I built a chamber and started doing stuff while working at cafe boloud nyc, but came back to Florida and started doing it more. Now, I made a side gig out of it and the salami we made when I was a kid was salt and wine spices and that's it. This ph stuff is all news to me. I think I over studied lol :cool: :cool: :cool:
Philip Anthony
Saltedtyme30
User
User

Post by Saltedtyme30 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 05:05

LOUSANTELLO, thanks bud. I just am new to this ph water level to
Much water isn't safe left in salami and all this lol
Philip Anthony