Len Poli's dry cured coppa recipe

nuynai
Passionate
Passionate

Len Poli's dry cured coppa recipe

Post by nuynai » Thu Feb 11, 2016 15:53

I'm going to try dry curing meat and am starting with the above. Following the instructions, I see at step 6, there is a 8/4/1 ratio of ingredients. Is this necessary to finish the product properly or just for flavoring. I've got my own list of flavorings for various sausages, etc., that I'm satisfied with. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, in advance.
harleykids
Passionate
Passionate

Post by harleykids » Thu Feb 11, 2016 16:07

You can use any spices or flavoring herbs, etc that you want when finishing a coppa for drying.
Dust with pepper, roll in paprika, corriander, etc. whatever flavor profile you want.

Of course the primary curing stage has to be followed, so don't omitt the salt and cure #2 (if called for in your whole muscle recipe...some do, some dont)
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Sat Feb 13, 2016 23:48

Just use what makes you happy, its all good. Made that recipe several times.

Reading this I just had to slice some up. This I had in the back of my fridge for over a year all vac packed. Yummy good stuff :grin:

redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Feb 14, 2016 06:42

I also agree that you can use any formulation of seasonings that you like. What I don't like about Poli's recipe is the high amount of salt. You will have salty product if you use 4.7% salt + Cure #2. Poli states that that amount is necessary to "destroy Trichinella. Yet for soppressata he asks for only 1.6% :shock: If are concerned about Trichinella, use meat that has been frozen.

The easiest way to cure is to use the equilibrium method. Use 2.5% salt .25 #2 whatever spices you like, rub the coppa with the mixture, place place in a zip lock bag or vac pac (leaving just a bit of space), throw it into the fridge for two weeks (or three or four, since it will never be too salty) It's all that easy!
nuynai
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nuynai » Sun Feb 14, 2016 13:32

Thanks for all the replies. Proceeding forward. I figured the 8/4/1 was for flavoring but never hurts to ask the experts.