Sausisson d'Alsace

redzed

Sausisson d'Alsace

Post by redzed » Fri Feb 12, 2016 22:13

In my pursuit of creating French dry cured sausages I successfully crafted 3kg of Saucisson d'Alsace. The ingredients used are from Elias Cairo, Olympia Provisions, p.140, while the process is mine. Saucisson d'Alsace is a highly aromatic but mild and smooth tasting sausage that goes well with a sharp cheese and a bold or acidic white wine. I had mine with a Pinot Grigio.

Saucisson d'Alcase

Meats
Class I pork (lean, no connective tissue or soft inter-muscular fat) from green ham 800g
Back fat 200g

Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
Salt 25g
Cure #2 2.5g
Granulated garlic 2g
White pepper, coarsely ground 3g
Cloves .25gg
Cinnamon .25g
Mace .5 g
Dextrose 4g
Corn syrup solids 3g
Erythorbate .6g
White wine 25ml
Bitec LM-1 starter culture - 1g used for the 3kg meat block

Notes
The pH of hind pork leg was 6.15 which is unusually high. To compensate I added an extra gram each of dextrose and corn syrup solids. A pH that high is not considered to be the best choice for fermented sausages. High pH or dark firm and dry (DFD) meat may be caused when are animals stressed before slaughter resulting in a depletion of glycogen. Bacteria is also more likely to attack high pH meats. In my case all went well, I fermented to 5.0 and the overall quality of the meat and the sausage was good.

Instructions
1. Cut lean meat into 3-4cm. cubes, fat meat and back fat into slightly smaller ones.
2. Add the salt, #2 and cure to the meat and rest in fridge for 48 hours. Keep the lean and fat meats separate. Add salt to the fat and also place in fridge. Make sure that the meat and fat are covered well.
3. Freeze the fat and and semi-freeze meat before grinding. Run the fat and the meat though the 7mm. plate.
4. Wake up the culture in 20ml of water and a pinch of dextrose for 20 minutes before adding to ground meat.
4. Add the rest of the ingredients and the culture to the ground meat, mix until everything is dispersed evenly. Be careful that the meat farce stays ice cold and do not over mix.
5. Stuff into 40+ hog casings.
6. Ferment at 20-22C and 90%+ RH until pH reads 5.3 or lower, but ideally not below 5.
7. Dry at 80%% RH until weight loss of 30-35%
8. Apply mould starter either during or after fermentation. I did apply any as my chamber is now full of it.
Last edited by redzed on Sun Feb 14, 2016 22:04, edited 1 time in total.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sat Feb 13, 2016 02:22

Looks nice. On a scale of 1-10 what is the flavor?
harleykids
Passionate
Passionate

Post by harleykids » Sat Feb 13, 2016 04:12

Chris, looks like they have some green mold? Is this from a different culture than the Bactoferm M600? They look great!
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Feb 14, 2016 06:14

Butterbean wrote:Looks nice. On a scale of 1-10 what is the flavor?
I think the flavour is quite pleasant, but I guess it's a matter of personal preference since it does contain cloves and cinammon. It does not have any bold or any peppery flavour. That is why in my initial post I suggested that it be paired with something sharp or acidic. Does not exactly blow my socks off, so I would give it a 6. But I will be making it again, next time with more pepper and fresh garlic.
harleykids wrote:Chris, looks like they have some green mold? Is this from a different culture than the Bactoferm M600? They look great!
Yes, that a bit of green mould on it, but since I did not use a flash, it is not as bad as the pic shows. I did not spray the sausage with a mould starter, but maybe I should have. But I have accepted green mould as being OK, and just watch out for the black ones. Sausages in Italian salumerias are always covered with green mould, so why not mine? :mrgreen:

Today I peeled of the casings and vac packed the sausages. They are already quite dry and when I was in France last fall I noticed they that they like to eat their sausson sec when it is still quite soft.