Removal of mold

LOUSANTELLO
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Removal of mold

Post by LOUSANTELLO » Thu Mar 03, 2016 01:42

My curing italian sausage is 5 days old and growing that wonderful moist white mold due to the high humidity. This is sausage I would prefer to gnaw on with the casing. Everybody says to wipe down with vinegar and distilled water. #1, what proportion of vinegar to water? Does it give the sausage a vinegar taste? #2, I assume it will cone back, so you do it again?
harleykids
Passionate
Passionate

Post by harleykids » Thu Mar 03, 2016 05:10

Lou,

No real ratio. I just pour a few ounces of distilled water in a cup, add a good splash of vinegar (I use Apple cider vinegar, as that's what I had on hand), and half a spoonful of salt. Mix and wipe casings down with it. That's it. No formula and nothing special.

Keeps the mold from growing for a few days, and when it comes back it comes back with a lighter covering. But it comes back. You may need to wipe every few days throughout the whole drying process. I have never done this through the whole process so cant tell you if it works.

I know it works on random green or black spots, wipe them and then the white mold takes over.
But not sure about keeping the white mold away for good.
BriCan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by BriCan » Thu Mar 03, 2016 06:53

I personally leave the mould alone as it is part of the flavour profile, if one is worried about mould and does not want it around one can give the item a light cold smoke as this is somewhat a deterrent for mould to grow
harleykids
Passionate
Passionate

Post by harleykids » Sat Mar 05, 2016 06:55

If you don't want the smoke flavor then you need to wipe evey few days.

Or you could use the Umai bags, as they go in the fridge and not in the drying chamber.
LOUSANTELLO
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by LOUSANTELLO » Sat Mar 05, 2016 15:09

I tried the wiped down. It doesn't last more than 2 days. What do the manufactures do with these after they are cured? They don't remove the casings and the casings are fairly clean. :roll:
harleykids
Passionate
Passionate

Post by harleykids » Sat Mar 05, 2016 16:42

Yes, that's the issue...you have to do it every few days or it comes back.
I am not a big fan of the mold flavor either, but I do appreciate it the great job it does at protecting the salumi from bad molds, and helping the salumi dry consistently and evenly!

It is very beneficial for flavor as well, but can be a bit overwhelming at times on a mild salumi.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sat Mar 05, 2016 18:12

harleykids wrote: It is very beneficial for flavor as well, but can be a bit overwhelming at times on a mild salumi.
After removing the casing and vac sealing, and after a few weeks of resting in the fridge, you can barely detect/distinguish the funky mushroom/fungus odor which contributes to the taste perception in a fresh from the chamber sample.

To be honest I think the taste the mold contributes to a mild salami like Genoa really sets it apart from the store bought variety :grin:
LOUSANTELLO
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by LOUSANTELLO » Sat Mar 05, 2016 19:31

Guys, you're missing the question. I don't mind the taste, in fact I like it, I'm fine with it. I am drying sausage in a sausage casing right now. I've had them also from a local Italian deli who makes his own for the store. I've also bought some store bought at larger specialty stores. There is no mold on them. I would imagine they once had mold on them. These sausage sticks are the size where you wouldn't remove the casings to eat it. If it was all white in the store, I probably would not buy them. So again, the question is what are they doing to them to remove the aesthetics of white mold before they sell them?
harleykids
Passionate
Passionate

Post by harleykids » Sat Mar 05, 2016 22:19

What kind of sausage is it? Are we confusing sausage and salumi?
LOUSANTELLO
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by LOUSANTELLO » Sat Mar 05, 2016 22:40

It's italian sausage. Dried and cured like soppressata in a sausage casing. I will post pics when i get home.
LOUSANTELLO
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by LOUSANTELLO » Sat Mar 05, 2016 23:21

harleykids
Passionate
Passionate

Post by harleykids » Sun Mar 06, 2016 00:31

Lou,

They may just rinse the mold off after they are done drying, with wine or something.

Ask them and then let us know what they say?

Or maybe their drying chamber is filtered so that no mold is in the chamber.
Not sure what to tell you. I would ask them! Or ask Evan if he knows. He has worked for a number of salumerias.