First Coppa hanging up to dry, but is it ok?

Fingers
User
User

First Coppa hanging up to dry, but is it ok?

Post by Fingers » Mon Mar 14, 2016 16:38

Hi Folks

Got my first small coppa hung at the weekend after 2 weeks bagged in the fridge. I took it out washed it off in cold water, patted dry then rubbed in my pepper corn, fennel, coriander, chilli flake and paprika rub.

Using a single layer of muslin to rap it and then truss with butchers string. Checking on it the next day I find the thing is now damp. Despite going into hanging dry, I hope this is quite normal?

Also noticed a midge sitting on my 7 day old salami, bold as brass if you please. This gets me to thinking are flys and other airborne insects going to become a problem? I am not to concerned about them just crawling about, so long as there not laying eggs!? :shock:
BriCan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Re: First Coppa hanging up to dry, but is it ok?

Post by BriCan » Mon Mar 14, 2016 16:46

Fingers wrote:
Using a single layer of muslin to rap it and then truss with butchers string. Checking on it the next day I find the thing is now damp. Despite going into hanging dry, I hope this is quite normal?
yes it is normal, myself I leave out at room temperature overnight before transferring to the curing place --- on a side note muslin is not the best of things to use :(
Also noticed a midge sitting on my 7 day old salami, bold as brass if you please. This gets me to thinking are flys and other airborne insects going to become a problem? I am not to concerned about them just crawling about, so long as there not laying eggs!? :shock:
I would be "very" concerned on this -- cuz if you are seeing them they are laying eggs :(
Fingers
User
User

Post by Fingers » Mon Mar 14, 2016 23:26

Fly paper or zapper type of thing?.. Full fly screen? Looking for the easiest solution, but if like growing apples your going to loose a couple to the insects, then so be it. They are quite persistent creatures if they find cured meats so irresistible they are going to find a way, no matter what you do, in domestic environment that is.

Preferring not to have to screen off a large area if I can get away with it my first thought is some sort of zappa. I think fly paper may give off a nasty chemical odor which may effect the stock? Going to have to just find out I guess.

I presume the meat I have which is covered in a pepper chilli paprika rub will ne safe. I read this keeps off the insects.

The salami once covered in mold, does this protect them?
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Tue Mar 15, 2016 13:09

You really need to keep the bugs away!!! Dry meats in an enclosed area or during the winter if you live in an area with cold winters and insects are not a problem.
Fingers
User
User

Post by Fingers » Tue Mar 15, 2016 13:32

Just ordered a load of cheese cloth to make a tent around the full rack. I should be able to encase the whole lot. Insects are not a problem during the winter here in the Northeast of England but spring is just round the corner.

Image Image
BriCan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by BriCan » Wed Mar 16, 2016 05:30

Bob K wrote:You really need to keep the bugs away!!! Dry meats in an enclosed area or during the winter if you live in an area with cold winters and insects are not a problem.
The problem is the area he is in has a lot of rain so weather is damp most of the time -- this year is worse than most years

What Fingers needs to do is build a wooden frame and wrap/cover with door screen -- and yes the UK has the stuff maybe but under a different name