Mold confussion!!??

redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Mar 24, 2016 16:42

Yes I understand that it's tough if not impossible to buy the Penicillium Nalgiovense. Your other option is to buy a mould starter culture used in cheese production, specifically Penicillium Candidum which also occurs naturally on meat in Southern Europe and will give you good results.

And did you enquire at this place? http://www.continentalmeattechnology.co ... rizo.shtml They have a mould starter for meats listed.

Buying a starter is really good investment. A packet may seem expensive but it will last you a long time and after a while you won't need to inoculate your salami as it will establish itself as the house flora.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Thu Mar 24, 2016 17:18

redzed wrote:Buying a starter is really good investment. A packet may seem expensive but it will last you a long time and after a while you won't need to inoculate your salami as it will establish itself as the house flora.
I can vouch for this. I have white mold everywhere now. Even on stuff I don't want it on.
Fingers
User
User

Post by Fingers » Thu Mar 24, 2016 18:25

Cheers, I've just called that place and thay can deliver the SK20 mold culture for £25 per sachet which does about 100kg of salami.

I will give this SK20 a go if my home made culture from the shop salami don't work out. I just sprayed them two days ago and can see some white starting to form in places. The concentration may not have been very high though. I left about 5cm square of skin in warm water with dextrose for 20 hours. If I had left it for longer and continued to feed I am guessing the concentration could only increase? Maybe I should redoo this to ensure a good covering?
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Mar 24, 2016 18:36

Actually all you need is half an hour in the water and dextrose is not necessary. The whole purpose is to remove the mould spores off the skins and transfer them onto your sausages. Mould does not grow very well, if at all in a solution, it is a fungus and not a bacteria. By keeping the skins in a solution with sugar at a room temp you are inviting the growth of bacteria which you don't want.

Buy the starter! :lol:
BriCan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by BriCan » Thu Mar 24, 2016 21:13

I posted before on the sausage forum and Wheels mentioned to head what I had said.....

I will repeat once again here that to leave things be, nothing wrong with the mould no matter the colour

The "only" concern I would have as being a ex-health inspector would be black mould that is on your walls of the curing chamber -- in your case Fingers -- the garage walls -- can be toxic if breathed in

I am on my main computer and all my pictures are on my laptop which is currently in for repairs

On a side note Chris (redzed) is still alive as I see he has just posted -- He was a recipient of one of my salames that was just covered with just about every colour of mould --I am assuming he has tried said salami
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Apr 02, 2016 19:54

BriCan wrote:On a side note Chris (redzed) is still alive as I see he has just posted -- He was a recipient of one of my salames that was just covered with just about every colour of mould --I am assuming he has tried said salami
Yup, still alive and kicking! Actually I rarely shy away from eating or tasting anything. I have eaten many sausages that were covered by a rainbow of colours mould! I also taste my sausage preparations raw, in order to adjust seasonings and don't waste time washing the frying pan after frying a test patty. But then, that's just me, I don't advise everyone to do that. :lol:

Below is a pic of Brican's salami. Peppery but still smooth with a hint of what might be a bourbon or malt, he did not divulge the secret recipe :mad: :wink: Well aged with a very good and complex flavour profile. Also tasted his landjaeger which was so good I ate it in the car before getting home. grin: