First salami experiment, what you think?

Fingers
User
User

First salami experiment, what you think?

Post by Fingers » Mon Mar 28, 2016 18:12

First salami, made without nitrate so will be binning sadly, but it looks and smells good.

47% weight loss in 6 weeks

crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 20:01

Why are you throwing these great looking salamis away? Most Italian families would take them off your hands and enjoy them. I do know the risks of NOT using Nitrite/ Nitrate but all my Italian friends never have used any of these additives.
They are still alive!!.
Personally I do use nitrite/nitrate as I live in the Sub Tropics.
Cheers,
Jan.
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Mar 28, 2016 20:01

If it is firm when you squeeze it, smells good I would not bin it! To me the colour looks good, no brown so no oxidation, and it has lost enough weight to pass the water activity hurdle as well. I don't think there much risk in at least trying it.
Fingers
User
User

Post by Fingers » Mon Mar 28, 2016 20:49

Cheers, after asking more about the process and many folks warning about the dangers I have lost my bottle. Thay have been made with just 3% table salt, no nitrate, no starter.

Thay are firm but giving, I think I would go firmer for my taste. I am pleased about the texture and colour. But will see how the other 5 of this batch mature further. I like the how they look so moist and juicy, I guess this is the fat.

I have another 3 batches which will be ready soon so I am just very happy my drying room (garage) is looking suitable to dry meats and salami's.
harleykids
Passionate
Passionate

Post by harleykids » Tue Mar 29, 2016 16:07

looks very nice!

Try a single piece since you already sliced it, and see how it tastes?
I don't think it can hurt you....maybe give you the runs for a day or two, but that's about it.

I would definitely be using cure #2 moving forward, but you might as well try a piece for taste since it doesnt look spoiled!