First pancetta gone wrong, I think. What to do next?

Fingers
User
User

First pancetta gone wrong, I think. What to do next?

Post by Fingers » Tue Apr 12, 2016 15:27

Hello Folks

I used 3% salt and 0.25% cure#1, bunch of rosemary then in the fridge bag for a week. Washed and dried off then rubbed in paprika, pepper, bay and chilli flake.

I think I made the mistake of rapping it in a muslin cloth instead of just hanging it bare. As when I looked at it 4 weeks later it had a white/greeny mold, not the powdery mold. Which I washed off with red wine vinegar.

as you see here;

So any how here's where I'm at with it, just shy of 30% weight loss I have decided to eat it, but cooked. It fried up lovely as bacon.

Moving forward for the next pancetta, am I better off hanging bare within my cheese cloth tent and spraying with a good mold culture? and is this the same with all whole muscles, rather than covering tightly in something?
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Tue Apr 12, 2016 17:09

Why do you say it went wrong if it tastes good? Mold? If its mold, I think you will find the more you make the more "good mold" you will have in your curing area and these "problems" will go away.

If you are concerned with the mold you could always spray it down with potassium sorbate and that should stop the mold.

Can't say what's best only can say what I do. I never cover mine. I have sometimes rolled and stuffed them in a casing but that seems to be a lot of trouble and expense for little gain. Personally, I prefer bacon so I apply smoke and all these "problems" go away.

Looks good to me BTW.
Fingers
User
User

Post by Fingers » Tue Apr 12, 2016 18:25

Cheers Butterbean

When I say wrong I am thinking as I had it covered for 4 weeks when it should have been open to the air. I was a little concerned about the look of it so thanks for easing my mind there, I may try some cold in a week or so which by that time should bring it into the -30%.

I also will be doing the next one simple as, just salt and cure, I need to know what this tastes like without any seasoning at all.

I was also thinking of rolling and trussing it, but felt this was a far longer of an investment as it will I guess take longer. Are you saying it makes little difference to the final taste?
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Tue Apr 12, 2016 18:48

I was also thinking of rolling and trussing it, but felt this was a far longer of an investment as it will I guess take longer. Are you saying it makes little difference to the final taste?
Yes, but that's just my opinion. I do like the way it looks when its rolled and trussed but I really can't discern any difference in taste but I'm not a big fan of pancetta other than its unique look when rolled. I'm a bacon fan.
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Apr 13, 2016 04:17

Fingers, nothing wrong with the pancetta. Take a stiff brush and clean off the mould if it "disappoints" you. Looks good to me and I would not hesitate in eating it as is, but you can fry it or use it to flavour soups and other dishes. You won't be disappointed.