Salami, is it just sweating?

Fingers
User
User

Salami, is it just sweating?

Post by Fingers » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:01

Hi Folks

Salami which is now 6 and a half weeks old with 50% weight loss still hanging in the drying room max temp 15 degC is best described as sweating, beads forming and running down. This is the same batch I have been eating and it tastes good. This is not happening with the other batches nor all of this particular batch, this one is more severe that the others which have just the od tiny bead.

No bad smells and when put into the fridge stops, possibly over ripe?

Is the drying room temp now to high at 15 degC?
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:11

Fingers, that same thing is now being discussed in another topic. http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?p=34103#34103 It is fat/oil (Angel tears) . When you refrigerate the oil solidifies again. Pics also in the link
Fingers
User
User

Post by Fingers » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:39

Ah Cheers Bob, yes I would say its an oil.

So I am guessing its ok just a consequence of a warmer temp. Spring is coming here and this might be the end of my curing for this year.

I have got a good yield so can't complain, I have just hung a coppa last week which had been in the fridge bag for 2 weeks. That might not make it if my temps in the garage are getting up to 15degC already :(
LOUSANTELLO
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by LOUSANTELLO » Tue Apr 19, 2016 13:32

Mine, in vac bags in the refrigerator was fine. I shipped 2 to Palm Springs California. By the time they got there, he told me they were really oily on the bags. Once he put them back in the refrigerator, they firmed back up. It is probably the fats,,,although when I want one, I usually pull it for at least 1 hour. It softens the fats and doesn't have that "lardy" texture.