Mould Question

Post Reply
robduca
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2015 03:31
Location: Bunbury WA 6230

Mould Question

Post by robduca » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:56

Hey guys,
I am onto my second batch of cured sausages. I have come across some mould this time.
It isn't on all the sausages, but maybe half have some on. It is a little green/greyish.
As I am new to this all, I am just after some advice. I have been told that even green mould should be OK as long as it isn't slimy? After more advice before I let this get out of control if it is no good.
They were fermented at 20c around 90-95% humidity for 3 days. Now at 12c and around 75-80% Humidity
Do I let it go, or wash it off?
Here are a couple of pics,
Image

Image
User avatar
Bob K
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2032
Joined: Sun Jun 02, 2013 15:16
Location: Northwest Ct

Post by Bob K » Tue Oct 18, 2016 13:32

In reality its probably fine, psychologically you may feel better if wiped off.
If you have used or purchase mold 600 the white mold will usually take over.

Good info in these two threads.

http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.ph ... sc&start=0

http://www.wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=7880
robduca
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2015 03:31
Location: Bunbury WA 6230

Post by robduca » Tue Oct 18, 2016 14:23

Thanks Bob. I gave them a wipe off with a little water/vinegar. Some were worse than others.

ill have a read of them threads shortly.
robduca
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2015 03:31
Location: Bunbury WA 6230

Post by robduca » Tue Oct 18, 2016 14:24

Oh and no mold 600. Might have to get some for next time.
User avatar
Butterbean
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1731
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 04:10
Location: South Georgia

Post by Butterbean » Tue Oct 18, 2016 23:48

I agree with Bob, its probably fine. Probably just a wild mold. This is common since you are just starting but if you introduce the 600 to your chamber then the odds of getting wild molds decreases the more you make.

For what its worth, I have a guy who gets stuff from me and he is a retired professor of microbiology who is extremely picky about sanitation and such since his sister died of food poisoning and I had a funky green/black mold on a ham once and asked him about it and he quickly looked at it and said it was fine. I asked him how he could tell and he said "because its growing on meat and its not slime". If you knew this guy you would see how this speaks volumes and made me less wary of colorful molds which I now rarely get. Heck, I got white mold growing everywhere after I started using the 600.
Post Reply