Air speed for drying

LOUSANTELLO
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by LOUSANTELLO » Tue Jan 31, 2017 20:55

I keep mine in the 80's. if you dry too fast, the outside will dry out and the inside wont dry. For the first couple weeks, I keep it fairly high and gradually decrease, still never under 70-75%
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Wed Feb 01, 2017 00:30

So if I just leave at the 90% for the first few weeks with the fan running once in a while just to refresh the air it should be fine then.
LOUSANTELLO
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by LOUSANTELLO » Wed Feb 01, 2017 00:49

I say yes, but I'm sure others more knowledgeable will chime in.
fordtruckbeast
User
User

Re:

Post by fordtruckbeast » Sat Apr 09, 2022 17:17

redzed wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2017 08:26
Trying to achieve the exact velocity of air in the chamber is impossible without appropriate measuring devices. You can calculate the velocity based on the speed if you were forcing the air through a duct, so probably there is a formula where you factor in the size of the chamber and the amount of resistance. Having said that, .1 to .5 meters per second is very mild air movement. Keep in mind that the reason that we want a small amount of air movement in the chamber is not that we want to dry the sausages with the air speed, but rather to homogenize the humidity inside the chamber. Excessive air velocity will result in case hardening. Often it is not necessary to install a fan inside the chamber for the purpose of air circulation if you are using a frost free fridge that turns on on a regular basis, since that task is performed by the fan inside the fridge.
You are awesome dude. G8 info

Al
fordtruckbeast
User
User

Re:

Post by fordtruckbeast » Sat Apr 09, 2022 17:50

redzed wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2017 08:26
Trying to achieve the exact velocity of air in the chamber is impossible without appropriate measuring devices. You can calculate the velocity based on the speed if you were forcing the air through a duct, so probably there is a formula where you factor in the size of the chamber and the amount of resistance. Having said that, .1 to .5 meters per second is very mild air movement. Keep in mind that the reason that we want a small amount of air movement in the chamber is not that we want to dry the sausages with the air speed, but rather to homogenize the humidity inside the chamber. Excessive air velocity will result in case hardening. Often it is not necessary to install a fan inside the chamber for the purpose of air circulation if you are using a frost free fridge that turns on on a regular basis, since that task is performed by the fan inside the fridge.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eu2C1N7faE

This guy uses a anemometer to test various computer fans. İt appears that the 80mm fans are giving 2.5m/s and 3.5m/s. This would be much higher than what 0.1-1.0 m/s recommended. İ didnt look into the details of the math he did to convert m3/h to m/s but it would appear that a 40mm would be more in the ballpark range of what we r looking for.

İ also wonder if putting a suction fan plus exhaust fan(or 2 fans)... would that double the airspeed? So if you buy 2 40mm fans and each is 1m/s would that make it 2m/s... Making product more prone to case hardening... Anyone who knows some science and physics would be greatly appreciate your inputs :)...
Indaswamp
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Air speed for drying

Post by Indaswamp » Thu Sep 08, 2022 19:21

So, the way to use the CFM of a fan in an understandable way, you need to figure out the cubic feet inside your chamber and how tall it is on the inside.
For example, MY new maturing chamber is 42.5 cubic feet and 59" tall on the inside. If I use a fan that is 42.5 CFM, then the air is turned over once through the chamber....so about 1 inch per second. 85CFM fan would move the air about 2" per second.....etc.....