300 lbs of free range boar. What to do with it?

fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

300 lbs of free range boar. What to do with it?

Post by fatboyz » Fri Apr 28, 2017 04:11

My friend is killing a boar he doesn't want. He's going to make some fermented salami here but I'll end up 200+ pounds. I think I'll have to freeze some. Other than Speck, Swiss guys call it Boro schpek, (spelling). I might have to put some heat to a piece to see how strong it is.
Thoughts?
for Genoa or the likes anyone try it before? How strong is it?
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Fri Apr 28, 2017 23:50

Its been my experience that the timing is critical to whether or not it has a strong taint to it if it hasn't been cut. I've been in the pig lot with a boar and smell nothing but two weeks later I could smell his rankness from 20 feet away. Its my belief that boars have a seasonal pattern similar to a pigs gestation pattern.

I've cleaned and eaten boars which had no taint to them at all but I've also handled them when they were only fit for buzzards. I think if you could time the slaughter during one of these ebb times the meat would be fine but if he's rank when you go to dispatch him I'd delay things because I think you'd be wasting your time. Just my opinion.
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Sat Apr 29, 2017 00:32

Thanks Butterbean. Will keep that in mind.
redzed

Post by redzed » Tue May 02, 2017 15:08

Let us know how the meat turns out. You will know when you cook it and might be lucky, or your house will smell like the men's room at the Hofbrauhaus. :lol: