Dextrose and corn syrup solids on whole muscle meats?

harleykids
Passionate
Passionate

Dextrose and corn syrup solids on whole muscle meats?

Post by harleykids » Thu Jun 15, 2017 15:33

Question for Chris, Bob, etc

I saw a coppa recipe from someone that said to rub dextrose and corn syrup solids on coppa before casing, along with whatever spice blend one may be using.

What's the reason for adding these sugar components to the surface of the coppa before casing? Necessary? Makes a difference?

Thx!
Jason
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Thu Jun 15, 2017 22:14

I would think it create fermentation on the outer portion of the muscle which would give some added protection. Don't see it being necessary but don't see where it would hurt either.
harleykids
Passionate
Passionate

Post by harleykids » Thu Jun 15, 2017 22:19

Thanks BB.

I have made many a coppa, bresoala, etc. and they are always fantastic.

I cure, rinse cure off, rinse with red wine (not necessary, I know!), dust with spices of choice, and stuff into a beef bung.

Never used anything like dextrose or CSS, probably won't start now.

I was just curious!

thanks!
Jason
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Fri Jun 16, 2017 00:20

I think you are essentially doing the same thing by rinsing with wine. I don't think I'd do both. I actually like the idea of the wines. When a friend's old lady mentor was asked why she added wine to stuff like this she simply said, "for the bugs". :lol: (bugs meaning the good critters)
harleykids
Passionate
Passionate

Post by harleykids » Fri Jun 16, 2017 00:59

Yep, and if I open a botle to use for rinsing then I get to drink the rest of the bottle...win win!
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Fri Jun 16, 2017 04:05

Win/win deals are the only way to go. :mrgreen:
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Jun 16, 2017 16:42

Sugar (in many forms) is added to meat products for several reasons. One of the most common is for flavour, to give a product a touch of sweetness or to take the edge off the saltiness if a lot of salt was used. It is also added to sausages to metabolize bacteria to ferment and stimulate enzymes. It will can also affect texture, making meat more firm and to some degree lower water activity in dry cured products.

Using sugar on whole muscle meats (just like wine) is largely for flavouring. I often use demerara on pork loins to give them a bit of sweet light molasses flavour. Sugar may take as much as 10 times as long to be absorbed by the meat, so you have make sure to give it time to be effective. It also may stimulate the naturally occurring micrococci bacteria on the surface of the meat, and I would definitely add dextrose if a starter was used.

Necessary on a coppa? No. Can you use it? Yes. Using supermarket pork in making products like coppa we are working with pork that has little flavour, fat and character so introducing spices and aromatics is necessary. But can also be a lot of fun to see what we can create. :lol: