Celiac / Crones jerky.

LOEBER74
Beginner
Beginner

Celiac / Crones jerky.

Post by LOEBER74 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 23:05

A friend of mine has had Crones / Colitis for years and had a large part of her gut removed years ago. The disease has been managed well for the last several years but in the last months she is having issues again and her doctors are removing items from her diet almost weekly. Currently she CAN NOT have items derived from SOY, CORN or any Gluten. This is hurtful to many of us but is a killer for her as she is also a marathon runner, spin instructor and trainer. She has asked me to try and come up with a snack she can digest and still find eatable. The commercially available gluten free is horrible.

I am going to try lime zest and tequila with cracked pepper jerky for a start.

Does anyone else deal with dietary issues?
Any other ideas are welcome.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Fri Aug 18, 2017 00:06

I don't think in turns of allergies and stuff and maybe this won't fit the bill but being she can't have gluten that means no pizza and pizza tastes good and I suspect she misses that. Anyhow, here is a pizza stick I made which really tastes like pizza - less the bread. If she can have these ingredients she will surely love you for it.

http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.ph ... zza+sticks
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Aug 18, 2017 04:31

If you are asking as to what type of sausages that your friend can eat, well the answer is almost all of them. There is no need in most sausages to use any gluten, soy, or dairy products. My wife is celliac, so I am quite understanding of the situation, as everything we eat at home is gluten free. We do, however, eat corn and corn products, but not in sausages. If you want to make some great tasting sausages for her, go for Kabanosy or pepperoni sticks, or some nice fresh grilling sausage with her favourite seasonings. The chicken with feta and spinach I made last week is abolute dynamite and everone who tasted it loved it!
LOEBER74
Beginner
Beginner

Post by LOEBER74 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 14:59

Thanks for the advise guys.
It is the commercial binders and additives that she has the most issue with, and I dont use em...
I have some mild snack sticks I did for her in the smoker today, and jerky tomorrow. hopefully they pass her taste test.