Rosette de Lyon

redzed

Rosette de Lyon

Post by redzed » Mon Aug 21, 2017 05:10

Rosette de Lyon

Rosette de Lyon is a cousin of the famous French sausisson, the Jesus de Lyon which I described and provided the recipe for here. http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.ph ... 596b30d9e2 The Rosette differs from the Jesus only in the casing, but this time I decided to try the Adam Marianski version instead. http://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausage ... sette-lyon The main differences from the "official" french versions are the additions of cloves and ginger. I also added .5g/kg of sodium erythorbate and used .4g/kg (400ppm) of KNOm3, instead of Cure#2.

Sausage was stuffed into 60mm protein lined collagen casings from The Sausagemaker, fermented with B-LC-007. A bit of case hardening which will be diminished after a few weeks under vacuum.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Mon Aug 21, 2017 13:04

Have you found any difference using pure Nitrate?
I think those are protein lined fibrous?
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Aug 21, 2017 14:53

Bob K wrote:Have you found any difference using pure Nitrate?
I think those are protein lined fibrous?
Yes, protein lined fibrous, these to be exact https://www.sausagemaker.com/61mm-Clear ... 7-2055.htm

As to the pure nitrate versus #2, the jury is still out. So far I have made 5 batches of salami using KNOm3. In every instance the bind, sliceability and flavour has been very good. However, I don't think I'm getting the deep red colour that I achieved with Cure #2. This was especially evident in a cold smoked and dried Hungarian salami. In next salami that I will be making I will divide it into two and use #2 in one half and nitrate in the other. Perhaps Stefan can also weigh in here since he also has been trying KN0m3.
StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Post by StefanS » Mon Aug 21, 2017 15:32

redzed wrote:Perhaps Stefan can also weigh in here since he also has been trying KN0m3.
Yes , but not in salamis. I have used in whole muscles, plus used Texel DCM with KNO3.
redzed

Re: Rosette de Lyon

Post by redzed » Mon Jan 10, 2022 05:15

Saucisson Sec
A few weeks ago I activated my fifth curing chamber in 9 years. This one is a commercial True T-23-HC Single Solid Door Fridge Hopefully it the compressor won't crap out on me like the last three. The first dry cured product to emerge out of the new chamber is a Saucisson Sec made with same ingredients as the Rosette de Lyon. The only diffrerence is that I made it in 40mm dried hog casings. This was my first crack at using this type of casing in dried cured sausage and I'm quite pleased with the result. The casings are strong and can be easily filled firmly and don't slip off the tring as happens with salted hog casings. The saucisson hung in the chamber for 33 days, and was quite hard when I took it out. I didn't weigh it at the start, so I have no idea of the weight loss. Should have been taken out a week earlier. Otherwise it's what I expected.

Image Image

Recipe for 1kg of meat
Meats
800g well trimmed lean pork, no fat and no connective tissue from loin and picnic
200g hard back fat
Ingredients
22g fine sea salt
3 Cure#2
2g granulated garlic
2g white pepper
1g mace
0.5 ginger
0.5 cloves
3g dextrose
30 ml red wine
0.5 sodium erythorbate
3g dextrose
Texel 301 starter culture

Process
1. Cube meat and fat, mix with salt, Cure#2, refrigerate in a sealed container for 48 hours.
2. Place cubed meat and fat in freezer for one to two hours and semi freeze everything.
3. Revive starter with small amount of distilled water and a pinch of dextrose. Add to meat within 20 minutes.
4. Grind everything through 6mm plate.
5. Mix starter culture and spices with the meat. Keep ground meat cold, mix throughly, taking care not to over mix to avoid fat smearing. You may want to refrigerate the meat between the grinding, mixing and stuffing steps.
6. Stuff into 40mm dried hog casings.
7. Ferment at a temp of 18-20C for 36-48 hours, until pH drops to 5.2. Be careful not to let the pH drop below 5 so that the saucisson does not taste sour. The micrococci are also not as effective in a high acid environment.
8. Mould starter optional, but recommended.
9. Hang for approximately 3-4 weeks at 12C and 80% RH, until a weight loss of 30-35%.
Scogar
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Scogar » Wed Jan 12, 2022 02:05

Top notch as always. Looking forward to hear how new chamber works...pros and cons
fordtruckbeast
User
User

Post by fordtruckbeast » Tue Apr 12, 2022 09:36

looks awesome. nice setup
michi
User
User

Post by michi » Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:11

Very nice setup, I'm envious! :)
redzed wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 05:15
Hopefully it the compressor won't crap out on me like the last three
Is it possible that your controllers may have been cycling on and off too quickly? Compressors don't take kindly to that.

I believe the Inkbird controller allows you set hysteresis, so the controller won't turn on the power again unless it's been off first for at least x minutes. I suspect that other controllers may be able to do the same thing.
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Apr 14, 2022 17:07

Yes, I was aware of that and had it set so that there would be a 20 minute delay. My new chamber so far is performing well. seems to hold the temp for a long time between running and so far I have not drilled out any ventilation vents.
fordtruckbeast
User
User

Post by fordtruckbeast » Sun Apr 17, 2022 22:22

redzed wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 17:07
Yes, I was aware of that and had it set so that there would be a 20 minute delay. My new chamber so far is performing well. seems to hold the temp for a long time between running and so far I have not drilled out any ventilation vents.
Very nice looking salami. İ got mine set to 5 minute delay and to turn on the humidifier/dehumidifier at a +-3 rH value... The problem is that the rH always overshoots the set value of rH... İ read somewhere that some people use 2 inkbird controllers to set a range to be more precise.... Your set up is sweet. My fridge is nofrost and whenever the fridge cycles on it somehow increases the humidity... İm also pondering getting a commercial fridge they just seem to work better with this type of set up.

cheers
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Apr 20, 2022 04:38

Hmm, I don't understand how your humidity increases when the compressor starts. Usually when the humidity sensor gets a blast of cold air the display registers a low reading.