Cure #2 Confusion

jcflorida
User
User

Cure #2 Confusion

Post by jcflorida » Fri Dec 08, 2017 21:12

Not sure where to post this, so this seems like the generic spot. I've been making semi-dry fermented sausage (pepperoni/summer sausage) for a while, but I'm preparing to graduate to dry cured. Reference books list cure#2 as 6.25% nitrite and 4% nitrate. They also say that Prague Powder#2, insta cure#2, and others are other names for cure#2. However, insta cure#2's ingredient list says 1% nitrate. I've sent 2 emails to sausage maker, but they have not responded. So i'm a bit confused. It took quite a bit of hunting on the web to find a source that actually offered a product that listed 4% nitrate. What do folks here use for cure#2?
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Dec 09, 2017 06:50

Bob K has a list somewhere about the different formulations of the #2 curing salts. I'm sure he'll post it when he reads your question.

As to which one to use, it's your choice. I use a formulation that has 4% nitrate since I usually slow ferment most of my dry cured sausages and hang whole muscle cuts for at least two months. If you will be making a small diameter sausage, and drying it for a month or less you should use Cure #1 only, which contains nitrite only. If you go beyond a month, and are using a bacterial starter culture containing staphyloccus or kocuria strains and inducing slower fermentation, using nitrates will result in a better colour and longer colour retention, a more complex flavour and aroma. In my opinion, the 1% nitrate in the SM formulation might not go far enough.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sat Dec 09, 2017 13:09

Ditto to what Chris said. THe formulas for cure#2 are proprietary and it pays to read the contents. They also change their formulas from time to time so never assume.

The original post is here, but some of the formulations have since changed. http://www.wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=7282

P.S. I also asked the same (1%) question to TSM and the response was. " We are not sure why but we do know it works great for dry cured."
Last edited by Bob K on Sun Dec 10, 2017 15:36, edited 1 time in total.
jcflorida
User
User

Post by jcflorida » Sun Dec 10, 2017 01:28

redzed, Bob K,

Thanks for the responses. The books that I have all seem to say cure#2 should be 4% nitrate. I was not able to find an online source for the cure where the listing said 4%, so I ordered some from the Modernist Pantry that lists as 5.67/3.63% nitrite/nitrate. I plan to use it at 2.75 g/Kg so as to have 156 ppm nitrite. Does that make sense? (for what it's worth, the link in Bob K's response says Allied Kenco has 4%, but their website now says 1%).
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sun Dec 10, 2017 15:48

Yes it makes sense but be aware the 156 ppm in comminuted meats is just the maximum amount of nitrite recommended/allowed by the FDA, you are also allowed 1718 ppm of nitrate, lesser amounts can be perfectly safe and effective. So there is no reason to split hairs. I Have used the 5.67/3.63% formula from B&P for many years now with great results.

https://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/wcm/conne ... OD=AJPERES

There is no regulatory minimum ingoing nitrite level for cured products that have been processed
to ensure their shelf stability (such as having undergone a complete thermal process, or having
been subjected to adequate pH controls, and/or moisture controls in combination with appropriate
packaging). However, 40 ppm nitrite is useful in that it has some preservative effect. This
amount has also been shown to be sufficient for color-fixing purposes and to achieve the expected
cured meat or poultry appearance.