Trichinosis?

oil99

Trichinosis?

Post by oil99 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 19:29

Hello all,

I can't seem to get a straight answer on the subject when it comes to dry curing meat. Is this an issue today with pork bought in Canada, or the US, from a reputable butcher shop or grocer?

I've only seen a few recommendations in books that say you need to freeze pork for x-days, x-temp, depending on thickness of cut. Online, most forums and recipes do not mention it.

Is commercially made charcuterie done this way? Doesn't the salt% and curing/fermenting process inactivate any potential trichina?

Cheers!
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:51

While Trichinosis is rare in this day and age from commercially produced pork there is still a chance of infected meat. It is a judgement call whether to treat your pork to kill trichinae.

Commercial producers use meat that is tested and certified.

The current recommended methods for treatment can be found here: https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/9/318.10
oil99

Post by oil99 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 17:59

Thank you for the response Bob. I always lean to the food safety side and find this top interesting.

I understand people don't want to propagate bad food safety advise on forums such as this, but it's intriguing that many, or most recipes don't discuss it. I'm not sure if it's so basic that it's considered a dumb question, but I can't see the majority of people either buying certified pork, or utilizing freezing to treat as it seems impractical. That leads me to salt% and the process of dry aging.

Method 6 from that pork treatment documents state 3.3% salt for x-days based on casing size. As an example a 50mm (~2") casing, needs 16 days dry aging. I'd think 3.3% salt is high, so using method 6c reduced salt, and even as low as 2%, it requires a 40% increase in drying time. Basically 7 additional days which is likely less time then what's required to finish a 50mm product anyway.

So did I answer my own question? And better yet is this just basic knowledge when it comes to dry curing? I almost feel dumb for asking but I like to understand the process and what's going on in recipes vs just mix, make and trust.

Cheers!
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Thu Jun 07, 2018 19:25

Well I'm sure food safety is rarely discussed in any recipe! Any reputable book on sausage making will have a discussion on the subject, so yes some common sense knowledge comes with the territory.
Freezing is the most common, practical and easiest way to start with certified pork if you are concerned with the safety issues of trich.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Fri Jun 08, 2018 19:33

From what I've read the trich is unheard of in commercial pork raised using modern production practices and most incidences of late have been from bear meat. I do wonder if we won't start seeing more problems with trich as more and more people buy free-range pork.

I do some things with wild hogs but I am very extremely careful when working with it but I've never made salami or any uncooked products with it. In my view its not worth the risk because who knows what a free-roaming pig might eat.