Finally got around to second try at dry cured sausage

jcflorida
User
User

Finally got around to second try at dry cured sausage

Post by jcflorida » Wed Aug 01, 2018 18:56

I procrastinated for several months, but finally got around to my second ever trial batches of dry cured sausages. Did two of Len Poli's "favorite" salami, one stuffed in fibrous casing and the other in beef middle. Third sausage was according to cajuneric, recipe for Finocchiana. Fermented then dried for 30 days (38-40% weight loss). Final pH was 5.1. Both turned out quite good for an amateur! I seem incapable of remembering to take pictures, but here are the ones I got after they were done.

redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Aug 02, 2018 06:05

Hey jc your salami looks excellent! Good sliceability, nice fat to meat contrast, proper colour and desirable noble mould cover. And if the taste is what you like, you've nailed it.

As to your final pH being 5.1 it means that you fermented it to 4.8 or maybe a tad lower. Probably a bit of a tang, but that is to be expected when using Poli's recipes: high sugar amounts and fast fermentation. It all comes down to personal preference.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:51

Looks like its time to make larger batches! Nice Job!.
jcflorida
User
User

Post by jcflorida » Fri Aug 03, 2018 03:55

redzed wrote:As to your final pH being 5.1 it means that you fermented it to 4.8 or maybe a tad lower
Thanks redzed and Bob K

You're right about the pH after fermentation of the Poli sausage . . . checked my record and it was 4.85. (I actually used B-LC-007 starter, reduced the corn syrup solids from 0.4% to 0.33% and fermented at 21°C for 30 hours. The Finocchiona had only 0.4% total sugar, and its pH was just a hair over 5.0 at the end of fermentation. I don't think I measured its pH after drying.