New Starter Culture for Fermented Sausages -- Flavor of Italy

cajuneric
Frequent User
Frequent User

New Starter Culture for Fermented Sausages -- Flavor of Italy

Post by cajuneric » Fri Nov 08, 2019 00:15

Has anyone had any experience with the new starter culture from The Sausage maker. It's called Flavor of Italy. I've been playing with it for the last 4 months with incredible results. here are the specs:

l. Sakei
p. Acidilactici
s. Carnosus
s. Carnosus (Subs. Utilis)
Fermenting range 75f - 90F
Humidity 90%
Bio-protective Culture (against Listeria)
Can handle pH range 4.7-5.3 (recommended pH target to be 4.9-5.2)

I'm loving this new culture. At 90F the culture ferments incredibly fast and at 75F it slows down a bit and develops color and flavor a bit better. I found that at.5 dextrose and 90F I was hitting target pH by 18 hours and at .4% dextrose and 75F I was hitting pH target by 24-30 hours. GREAT FLAVOR from this culture!!! I made a video about it if you want to check it out..

https://youtu.be/Pyp8Qu8BEWw

Cheers,
Eric
ewanspeirs

Re: New Starter Culture for Fermented Sausages -- Flavor of Italy

Post by ewanspeirs » Fri Nov 08, 2019 16:14

Eric - love your youtube channel :) it got me hooked.

What recipes have you tried with this new culture - i' like to give it a shot on my next batch
cajuneric
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by cajuneric » Sat Nov 09, 2019 14:17

Hey ewanspeirs, Thanks. I've made Geona, Calabrese, and sopressata. Nice culture. Great flavor..
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Nov 11, 2019 04:21

Hi Eric,
Thanks for the post and the link to the video. Can you explain why a fast fermentation is advantageous in producing Italian style salami? Most professional and scientific works advise slower and cooler fermentation. Pediococcus is the bacteria that possesses the antimicrobial properties. So are we compromising their action if we ferment slower, that is for 48-72 hours at a temp of 70F, using a combination of sugars? And I would really like to see a spec sheet of Taste of Italy. Do you have one to share?
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Mon Nov 11, 2019 15:35

The Non-Sausage Maker variety is BACTOFLAVOR® Flora Italia

Bactoflavor® Flora Italia is characterized by:
* Fast acidification in safe production and excellent microbiological quality.
* Without compromising color and aroma, thanks to the much more active and pH resistant Staphylococcus strains.
* For robustness that ensures repeatability, regardless of the quality of the raw material.

* A new strain of L. sakei meets consumer demands for sweeter, non-spicy nuances typical of mild Italian products.

Chr. Hansen is now also launching SafePro Flora Italia LC to provide an extra food safety barrier to minimize the risk of Listeria monocytogenes growth .
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Nov 13, 2019 04:14

I like the formulation for the much more active and pH resistant Staphylococcus strains. And I like protection against listeria. But I sure would like to take a look at the spec sheet.

And I find the name "Flavor of Italy" a bit misleading. Yes, L. Sakei is one of the most dominant and widespread bacteria occurring in Italian sausages, Pediococcus Acidilactici is rare. S. Carnosus is also a non-player. The dominant Staphylococcus in Italian salami is Xylosus.

But I'm going to have to try the stuff, even though I have a box of partially used packets of several other starters.
cajuneric
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by cajuneric » Thu Nov 14, 2019 01:38

For whatever reason I wasn't getting notified that there was a reply. I need to check my settings.

Thanks Bob. I couldn't have said it better myself. This culture is actually called Flora Italia LC US. Renamed "Flavor of Italy".

If you get a chance to use it i'd go with a slightly smaller dose. TSM recommended dose is 1 tsp per 10 pounds. I'd go with 1/2 tsp per 10 pounds or even better yet the .025% dose that Chr. Hansen suggests. It's fast but I can testify that the end result is really nice...

I spoke to Chr. Hansen and they explained that at 75F with a variety of sugars one can extend the fermentation time and develop better color, flavor and aroma. They suggested not to go below 75F to maintain all the benefits..

I do have a spec sheet how can I email it to you?
Igor Duńczyk
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Igor Duńczyk » Wed Dec 18, 2019 16:33

cajuneric wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 01:38
I spoke to Chr. Hansen and they explained that at 75F with a variety of sugars one can extend the fermentation time and develop better color, flavor and aroma. They suggested not to go below 75F to maintain all the benefits..
The probable reason why Chr.Hansen recommends "75F to maintain all the benefits" is because the activity of the Listeria inhibitive Pediococcus acidilactiti may be severely reduced once temperatures gets below 70F hence limiting its growth capability and jeopardizing its intended Listeria-inhibition. I´d say though that down to 70F will still be on the safe side and probably contribute to an even better aroma formation.

N.B.: fermentation at 68 to 65F is not a rare sight among midsize and smaller producers in the mediterranian region who can afford a longer processing time for their higher priced products compared to the large scale bulk producers whose main parameter is: Fast fermentation so they can transfer to maturing as quickly as possible. And that´s quite all right as long as one manages to keep up pH around 5,0 during fermentation - preferably just above 5,0.
Wishing you a Good Day!
Igor The Dane
Lonster
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Lonster » Sat Mar 07, 2020 15:44

Ok. I’m getting ready to give the “Flavor of Italy” a try. I’ve used T=SPX with success with 0.2% dextrose and 0.3% sucrose fermenting at 75 deg F to a target pH of below 5.2. I plan to add 0.4% dextrose to get to pH 4.9=5.0. This all makes sense to me. But my question is...Do I still add the 0.3% sugar(sucrose)? And if I choose to add some wine or powdered milk does this affect the sugar levels? If I add wine should I reduce the sugars(sucrose). I understand how the dextrose feeds the starter culture to create Lactic Acid driving down the pH. What role does the Sucrose play. Same but slower? Thanks for today’s biology lesson for anyone that helps me to understand.
redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Mar 10, 2020 04:35

Hi Lonster. I would recommend that you add 3g of dextrose only and ferment at 70F. 3g of dextrose is more than enough to bring your pH to 5.2 or even lower, especially if you are also adding wine. Don't add any sucrose because the L. Sakei and Staphylococcus Carnosus do not metabolize that particular sugar. Ferment slower at a lower temp if you are adding Cure#2. Potassium nitrate in Cure#2 need to be reduced to nitrite and the nitrate reducing bacteria do not work very well when the pH is below 5.4.
Lonster
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Lonster » Tue Mar 10, 2020 17:25

Thanks so much! This makes sense to me.
redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Mar 10, 2020 23:15

Lonster, please post your process and recipes when you begin using this starter. It is new and we want to learn more about it.
carlv123

Post by carlv123 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 04:42

redzed wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 04:35
Hi Lonster. I would recommend that you add 3g of dextrose only and ferment at 70F. 3g of dextrose is more than enough to bring your pH to 5.2 or even lower, especially if you are also adding wine. Don't add any sucrose because the L. Sakei and Staphylococcus Carnosus do not metabolize that particular sugar. Ferment slower at a lower temp if you are adding Cure#2. Potassium nitrate in Cure#2 need to be reduced to nitrite and the nitrate reducing bacteria do not work very well when the pH is below 5.4.
3g of dextrose per how much meat? Also how much starter are you using?

Thanks!
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:51

Carlv-
Its the amount per Kilo and a good starting point for the culture would be .022%
Lonster
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Lonster » Mon Apr 06, 2020 23:21

OK Finally received my package from the Sausagemaker. As I'm finalizing my spices, I realized I have one more question. I'm planning on splitting the difference and using 3.5% dextrose and fermenting @ 75 deg F. But my questions is: most of the recipes on this website use Sucrose in addition to the dextrose. if the starter culture only eats the Dextrose do I just eliminate the Sucrose or is it there more to flavor or sweeten the salami.