First Attempt at Whole Muscle Salami - Result and Questions

jcflorida
User
User

First Attempt at Whole Muscle Salami - Result and Questions

Post by jcflorida » Fri Dec 20, 2019 05:27

I recently made my first try at whole muscle salami. Followed the recipe for spicy capocollo from cajuneric's youtube channel here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFfqwyxC_Zo

Except used pork loin instead of pork collar, so I guess its really lonzino. Used a 900g piece of commodity pork loin (Smithfield?) and a piece of heritage pork loin weighing 600g. Followed the method in the videos fairly closely including spraying with B-LC-78 just before stuffing in the casing and spraying with Mold 600 after casing. The larger piece was stuffed into 85mm fibrous casing and the smaller into 65mm collagen. Both were netted. After 32 days in the chamber at 55ºF and 80% humidity, both had lost 40% weight. There was a nice coating of white mold as shown in the curing chamber photo below.

When I peeled the casing off the smaller piece, there were some blotches of white mold inside the casing. I didn't think much of it and cleaned it off with some vinegar.

When I peeled the casing off the larger piece there was some white mold along with spots of green mold. From what I've read here, the green mold is not desirable, but, if not slimy, not hazardous. I took a picture of this (below). Then cleaned it off too.

Both tasted good, and I'm not sick, so I guess they're OK. I've tacked on a picture of each below.

The questions:
- Is it normal for mold to form inside the casing, and if not what might I have done wrong?
- What about the green mold, I'm not trying to culture penicillin and would like to eliminate it in the future.
- The video says he sprayed the B-LC-78 just before casing, but the package directions say to mix it with the cure. Does anybody use this culture, and if so, how.

If you read this far, thanks for your patience.

John

Bob K

Re: First Attempt at Whole Muscle Salami - Result and Questions

Post by Bob K » Fri Dec 20, 2019 16:55

Whenever you have air pockets under the casing you will probably get mold. The air pockets are difficult to avoid but natural casing shrink and adhere to the meat much better than collagen or fibrous. As you noted the various colored molds are not a problem.

Cant help you with the B-LC-78 as I never have used it but from the feedback on this site it doesn't really make that much of a difference if you use it or not.

Those look great!
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Dec 20, 2019 18:59

What Bob said about the mould. A beef bung would have been better. Not only would it adhere better to the meat and shrink as the meat dries, but natural casings are also a natural source of Staphylococcus bacteria. Second best would be pasted hog casing sheets. These are softer than collagen sheets and adhere better to the meat tissue. B-LC-78 contains Pediococcus acidilactici and Staphylococcus carnosus. The former is a lactic bacteria which produces defensive properties against listeria. I don't know how much fermentation actually takes place on the surface of the meat, but I am sceptical. S. carnosus is intended to aid in flavour and colour enhancement. As to application both methods are OK. The idea is to distribute the starter evenly on the product. When spraying, keep in mind that the bacteria does not dissolve in the water, but remains in suspension, so don't wait too long before applying.

The lonza looks good, and two three weeks under vacuum will even out the moisture and the dark ring will disappear.
jcflorida
User
User

Post by jcflorida » Sat Dec 21, 2019 01:57

Thanks for the replies Bob K and redzed.
redzed wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 18:59
beef bung would have been better
. . . will try that next time
redzed wrote:
Second best would be pasted hog casing sheets
. . . I've tried to find these before, but could only find them in small quantities at the Canadian firm Stuffers. They don't ship outside Canada.
redzed wrote:
two three weeks under vacuum
. . . should have mentioned in the earlier post that, after a taste test, they were vacuum packed and put in the fridge until New Years.

Thanks again, and best to you and yours for the holiday season!