Would it be possible to utilize chicken breast in making salami?

Markiz

Would it be possible to utilize chicken breast in making salami?

Post by Markiz » Sat Dec 19, 2020 19:22

Hello everyone,
I normally make my southern European style salami of pork + pork fat + beef, using a starter culture, such as Bactoferm T-SPX
At the moment I have some excess stock of chicken breast. Would it be possible to utilize it without sacrificing salami quality (color, flavor, consistency)?
If "Yes", what proportion to follow and what starter culture to use?
Thank you for any input.
redzed

Re: Would it be possible to utilize chicken breast in making salami?

Post by redzed » Sun Dec 20, 2020 09:03

Hello Markz and welcome to the forum. We are happy that you can join the rest us meat heads! :D That's a good question. While there is no documented tradition in using poultry in dry cured products, there is now some interest in using the meat. For example , dry cured ducks breasts have become popular and apparently there are some dried poultry products in China. However, poultry and poultry products have been responsible for a number of food borne disease incidents especially Salmonella, Clostridium perfringens, and Staphylococcus aureus. These have been caused by people consuming raw or under cooked poultry products. I don't know how correct they are, but there are claims that nearly all the commodity chicken we buy has various counts of salmonella bacteria. There are are now bacterial starters such as FLC and BLC-007 that have protective bacteria against salmonella, but I don't believe they were designed to be used with poultry meat. Personally, I think there is too much risk and I would not use it. Stick to making fresh sausages with chi ken breasts or mix it with pork in smoked sausage products.