German Salami

redzed

German Salami

Post by redzed » Sat Feb 13, 2021 22:07

German Salami

This is my take on a German style salami. The sausage was fermented, smoked and dried for 5 weeks. Spices and amounts were similar to those in Marianski's recipe for GreuBener salami. I wanted a tang in this sausage and with the addition of 8g/kg of dextrose, and I sure got one. I fermented with B-LC-007 and after 48 hours at 20C the pH dropped from 5.78 to 4.48. After five weeks the pH came back up to only 4.81. Obviously the high acid environment was too high for the gram-positive to grow in any consequential way and the salami had little benefit from the Staphylococcus cultures in the starter. The high acidification also made the sausage almost hard right after the fermentation. This is very different to a sausage that is fermented to a 5.0 – 5.2 level when gelling occurs, making the sausage firm but considerably softer. The smoke and tangy flavours are right up at the front, and the taste is good. It is, however very different than Southern European salami.

Image Image

Recipe for 1kg of meat

Meats
500g class I pork from leg ang and loin, no fat or connective tissue
300g class 1 beef, no fat
200g hard back fat
Ingredients
22g fine sea salt
3g Cure#1
2g granulated garlic
3g white pepper
1g coriander
1g cumin
0.5g nutmeg
0.3g ginger
8g dextrose
0.5g B-LC-007 starter culture
Process
1. Cube meat and fat, mix with salt, Cure#1, and refrigerate in a sealed container for 48 hours.
2. Freeze fat completely, leave the cubed and cured meat in freezer for one to two hours so that it it freezes partially.
3. Revive starter with small amount of distilled water and a pinch of dextrose. Add to meat within 20 minutes.
4. Grind everything through 6mm plate. Do not grind fat separately.
5. Mix starter culture and spices with the meat. Keep ground meat cold, mix thoroughly, taking care not to over mix to avoid fat smearing. You may want to refrigerate the meat between the grinding, mixing and stuffing steps.
6. Stuff into 45-50mm beef middles.
7. Ferment at a temp of 20C for 48-72 hours, until pH stabilizes.
8. Cold smoke in two 8hr sessions over 2 days, taking care not to go over 25C.
9. Hang for approximately 4 - 5 weeks at 12C and 75-80% RH, until a weight loss of 35%. Weight loss is calculated from the weight of the sausage after stuffing.
Bob K

Re: German Salami

Post by Bob K » Sun Feb 14, 2021 15:38

Wow! 8Gm of dextrose is a lot :shock: ...even for those of us who like a salami with a little tang. About 5 grams of total sugar usually produces a pleasant Tang. Also remarkable is the amount of cure used at 187PPM ?? And the use of cure #1 is because of the fast Ph drop so little use of the nitrate reducing Staphylococci ?
Looks delicious with nice color and even fat distribution. Did you find the cold smoking dried it out a lot faster?
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Feb 14, 2021 18:42

8g/kg of dextrose is indeed a lot and the pH was the lowest I ever measured. Usually 4.5 is as low as it can go because the lactic bacteria at that level stops growing. And yet we see so many published recipes, on FB and YouTube, that call for as much as 10g of dextrose or sucrose. :shock: I think I should have added 5 or 6 grams, which would have taken the pH down to around 4.8 and eventually rising to around 5.2. Lactic acid bacteria also produce small amounts of acetic acid, so the more carbohydrate that is available the more acetic acid and sourly flavour. And you are totally correct in why I used only #1. The nitrate reductase bacteria work best when the pH is over 5.4. Below that the activity is very slow. Furthermore, there may be very little benefit in using nitrates in narrow casings which require a short drying period. In making slow fermented and large diameter salami with a drying time of months not weeks Cure #2, a combination of nitrite and nitrate works best. The important safety task of curing and setting the colour is performed by the nitrite, and over the long haul, the nitrate is gradually converted to nitrite, acting as an antioxidant and preserving the red colour in the salami. However, there is not that much nitrate in the #2 formulations, so if we do use it in a fast maturing salami, there should be no health concerns.
Indaswamp
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Indaswamp » Sun Feb 14, 2021 19:24

Very nicely done Redzed! I have yet to venture into German or Hungarian style salamis.
Albertaed
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Albertaed » Sun Feb 14, 2021 19:44

My German genes love the tang! So this has been bookmarked! I find 4.8- 4.9 after ferment is just where I link it. Indaswsmp Hungarian salami’s Smokey flavour is really good.
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Mon Feb 15, 2021 17:05

I want to make a large caliber Summer sausage or deli style "Thuringer". At meats and Sausages this recipe calls for 5g sugar and 10g Dextrose!
https://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausag ... er-sausage
I was given a few protein lined 90mm textured casings from my friend. I'm thinking of doing a variation of the two recipes. The Thuringer recipe doesn't have any pepper in it but the Summer sausage does. My thoughts were to just go with 5g of dextrose and no sugar? I think I would increase my drying time significantly to get a more dry texture. With Covid no March/April trip to our friends place in Mexico so Might as well keep making sausage!
Albertaed
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Albertaed » Mon Feb 15, 2021 20:58

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9315&p=44152&hilit= ... age#p44152

The summer sausage and Thuringer are very similar. I’m not sure if the extra ingredients offset the tang or not but I think the summer sausage was a tiny bit better for my taste.

This might help. I found a Ph around 4.8-5 to be good for me
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Mon Feb 15, 2021 22:33

Ed I was thinking the same for PH I like a nice tang to mine. I like the whole mustard seeds as well.
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Feb 19, 2021 16:16

fatboyz wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 17:05
I want to make a large caliber Summer sausage or deli style "Thuringer". At meats and Sausages this recipe calls for 5g sugar and 10g Dextrose!
https://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausag ... er-sausage
Wow! That is way off the wall! Depending on your starting pH, 6g dextrose will lower the pH to around 4.8. That will give you a distinct tang. And unlike a dry cured sausage where a portion of the acid will be neutralized, in cooked sausages like Summer or Thuringer, that tang will be locked in. The amount in Marianski's recipe has to be an error.
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Mon Feb 22, 2021 01:26

Red that was my thoughts too. I was thinking of using 5g. In this recipe they smoke it to 140 then hang for a few days? my thoughts were actually to take it to 140 in the smoker then let it dry for a few weeks?
Thoughts?