Sicilian Pistachio and Lemon Salami

Indaswamp
Passionate
Passionate

Sicilian Pistachio and Lemon Salami

Post by Indaswamp » Mon Mar 08, 2021 23:31

When I first started gearing up to make salami a year ago, I was at my local butcher shop buying a pig head and pork skin for a run of boudin and started talking to the head butcher about salami making. He was enthusiastic about my endeavor and offered me Olympic Provisions recipe book to look over...said no rush, just bring it back next time you stop by. So I kept the book for about a month and one recipe caught my eye....the Etna salami....Pistachio and Lemon. I vowed to make it. A year later after about a dozen salamis under my belt, it was time for me to give it a go. Here is my take...
Pistachio and Lemon Salami.jpg
Pistachio and Lemon Salami

800g Lean Pork
200g Back Fat

22.5g Sea Salt
3g cure #2
1.2g ground white pepper
4.2g Lemon zest fine dice
36g whole pistachios (I used halves; only ones I could find during Covid)
3g dextrose
3g brown sugar
20mL dry white wine (Sauvingnon Blanc?)

1g Flavor of Italy starter culture in 30mL distilled water

Fat 10mm grind, Lean 6mm grind
Stuff-60-65mm casing, 18-20" long

I made 5 Kilos of this salami.
Indaswamp
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Sicilian Pistachio and Lemon Salami

Post by Indaswamp » Mon Mar 08, 2021 23:35

I learned some valuable lessons making this salami as it was stuffed in 60-65mm beef middles. I did not shape the pH test piece the same thickness as the salamis and thus the test piece warmed up faster and fermented faster. The salamis were not finished fermenting when I transferred them to the chamber to dry. Lowest the pH got in the chubs was pH5.45 so I let this salami dry to around 38% weight loss to lower Aw below 0.85...

So many little things to be mindful of when making salami! I love the challenge as it is keeping me on my toes! I have not had one go bad yet so I feel fortunate about that...but gaining more knowledge with ever batch! Thanks for lookin...
Albertaed
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Albertaed » Tue Mar 09, 2021 01:18

Love it! Bookmarked
Indaswamp
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Indaswamp » Tue Mar 09, 2021 01:40

Wasn't real sure about it went I cut into it and sampled right after drying, but a month vac packed made a huge difference! Pistachio is on the front, Lemon is on the back end...It's a good salami....well balanced.
redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Mar 09, 2021 17:29

Very nice looking salami. I bought Cairo's book right after it came out and really enjoyed reading it. Unless there was some issue with your meat I can't see how your salami dropped to only 5.45. With that much sugar you should have been well below 5 at around 4.7 - 4.8. How long was it in the fermentation chamber? If you transferred them prematurely, fermentation probably continued in your chamber.
Indaswamp
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Indaswamp » Tue Mar 09, 2021 19:45

Yes redzed, this is the salami I posted about concerned about the pH that didn't drop far enough because I transferred to chamber prematurely.
The test piece was a smaller dia. and fermented faster.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9292

Lesson learned.

I did probe on chub to track and the lowest pH I got was 5.45....

Could have been the calibration on my meter though as I recently noticed my probe may be going bad. I need to order more calibration solution and do a test after calibration using vinegar.