sinewy coppa

Lorenzoid
User
User

sinewy coppa

Post by Lorenzoid » Thu Aug 12, 2021 16:35

Since getting started in this hobby maybe six months ago I have been tweaking my drying chamber and have cured a number of coppe and bresaole, trying different combinations of spices, weight loss percentages, mold vs no mold, etc. For the coppe I have been using commodity pork from various supermarkets and warehouse-type retailers. Meanwhile, I have compared my results with commercially produced coppe from similar sources. I was recently in Europe and sampled some coppe there as well--also from similar non-artisan sources. The commercial examples invariably have been softer and less sinewy than mine. Mine are a little more chewy and seem to pull apart along a sinew. When I say "sinew" I don't mean it is so tough you can't easily bite through it, but it is sinewy enough to sometimes get stuck in your teeth. In contrast, the commercial examples often seem as soft as silk--almost no detectable sinew. Is it a difference in the quality of the meat? It seems unlikely these kinds of commercial sources are using super-high-quality or heritage pork. Or are they using some kind of industrial food science magic? I suppose another thing I could try is to source pork from artisan producers. I could also source coppe from artisan producers--there are several hipster charcuteries in my area (that charge astronomical prices).
Bob K

Re: sinewy coppa

Post by Bob K » Thu Aug 12, 2021 17:58

Are you using just the coppa muscle or the whole Butt. The Butts contain a lot of connective tissue.
Lorenzoid
User
User

Post by Lorenzoid » Thu Aug 12, 2021 21:25

I trim the butt to leave as much of what the Italians would refer to as the coppa as possible, as shown in the many videos available. Sometimes I trim more and sometimes less, depending on how intact the butt itself is. I have had the best success with bone in-butt, as boning it myself seems to make better use of what's there. With boneless butts, the hack job that some butchers do often leaves very little intact that would be part of the coppa, as all kinds of flappy bits have to be removed to get an intact piece.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:41

The main reason the commercial "Coppas" are more tender than your dry cured is the vast majority of them (if not all) are cooked/smoked/steamed. So although they bear the same name they are a different product. Slicing yours paper thin in a good slicer goes a long way in improving the mouth feel.
We have had excellent results replicating store bought texture using loins and curing with Coppa flavors. Use the production procedures for Sweetheart hams. viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8102
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Aug 18, 2021 15:57

Try and use larger and fatter collar cuts. Slice paper thin. How well the enzymes work during the maturation period also makes a difference. How long are you aging the coppas and what are your parameters in the drying chamber? Can you show us a picture of a cross section of a finished coppa?
Lorenzoid
User
User

Post by Lorenzoid » Sat Aug 21, 2021 13:47

I will post a pic if I have any coppa left—I’m out of town and don’t recall if I ate the last of it.

Bob, that’s interesting to know that commercial coppa is often cooked. Even products imported from Italy? Seems like cheating.

My Hobart 512 slices paper-thin, so that’s not an issue. It is possible the blade could use sharpening. Sometimes the slicer will fling the slice off, and my guess is the sinew catches on the blade. That has not happened with any other meat.

The sinew I refer to mostly runs on the border of the veins of fat that give coppa its characteristic appearance.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sat Aug 21, 2021 14:55

Lorenzoid wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 13:47
Even products imported from Italy?
Imported I have no idea. Referring to commercial US products many times sold as "Coppacola"
Lorenzoid
User
User

Post by Lorenzoid » Tue Aug 31, 2021 14:50

Some pics. Color has faded over the weeks, but texture is the same. This was aged to 40% weight loss, about 7 weeks. It’s a small coppa, ending at 752g.
92D6CA5A-BA85-4DB8-82E3-C526329F6AB8.jpeg
Attachments
EABE3FE3-96F0-47C2-B069-488FD6E20654.jpeg
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Sep 04, 2021 15:56

I think a fatter and larger cut would be less less stringy.
Lorenzoid
User
User

Post by Lorenzoid » Sat Sep 04, 2021 19:38

redzed wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 15:56
I think a fatter and larger cut would be less less stringy.
Thanks. Maybe the size is due to my butcher skills or lack thereof. What you see is the largest intact piece I have been able to get out of a whole bone-in butt. I'll try to source some heritage pork instead of this supermarket-quality butt I have been using. Now that I think I have the process down, I suppose I could ask the butcher to simply cut me a coppa that Italian way. The butcher cures coppa, too, so they know how to do that. I wouldn't be surprised if he charges me more for the raw meat than for his cured coppa. :roll: