Growth While Fermenting

Mencer

Growth While Fermenting

Post by Mencer » Mon Mar 06, 2023 07:51

PXL_20230306_054543142.MP.jpg
PXL_20230306_054537001.MP.jpg
Hello team!

Great to finally make an account. I've been lurking and learning here for quite a while. I've read a couple Marianski books as well as watched every 2 Guys and a Cooler video, but I still wasn't prepared to see a sheet of growth on my salamis while still fermenting them.

The pics are above; the recipe's below. I've been fermenting in my oven at about 72°F. I'm using T-SPX for the first time. I tested the chub meat at 60 hours and it read 5.24. I wanted to go a bit lower so I waited another 8 hours. I tested it again and the pH was now reading 5.5. This alone was perplexing, so I took a look at the salamis and saw that they were already being covered. I did brush mold 600 on them before fermenting.

Any thoughts/insights as to why the pH is going up? Also, is this penicillium that's growing or is it something completely different? My best guess is that I didn't wrap them tight enough, and therefore the environment isn't humid enough. Maybe I should have used Sucrose as well. Please help. Here's the recipe

2.5% Salt
1% MSG
.30% Black Pepper
.25% Garlic Powder
.20% Bay Leaf

T-SPX Starter Culture (¼ tsp in ¼ cup spring h2o)
.5% Dextrose
2% Potato Starch
Indaswamp
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Growth While Fermenting

Post by Indaswamp » Fri Mar 31, 2023 02:59

From my experience, with 0.5% dextrose and TSPX, your pH should have dropped lower than 5.24 in 60 hours. One reason for the inconsistent pH reading could be insufficient mixing to blend the dextrose evenly throughout the mince. Though mold growth will tend to raise the pH in a salami, it won't happen that fast in 8 hours.....

IMO, as long as the pH dropped to below 5.3 you should be good.....as long as all other safety hurdles are accounted for. I don't see any nitrates or nitrites in your recipe. Did you use them?