Frankfurts - never again

snagman
Frequent User
Frequent User

Frankfurts - never again

Post by snagman » Fri May 26, 2023 09:50

Decided to make some pork frankfurts, what a pain they are to make !! The sheep casing is soooo delicate (especially for big fingers ☹️), the processing of the meat, the smoking to a precise temp, then the water temp to cook, just ain't worth the work !
I can buy not too bad frankfurts from a really good deli, so, over it ! They taste really nice, but half a day I never get back….
28D39EA9-0AE0-47E0-923D-26BD2E6B7EB9.jpeg
michi
User
User

Re: Frankfurts - never again

Post by michi » Sat May 27, 2023 08:04

Well, emulsified sausage always is a fair amount of work. To make it worthwhile, I make a larger batch, so I have to deal with all the clean-up only once.

Here in Brisbane, good Frankfurter/Wiener are as rare as hens' teeth, so it's worth my while making them myself.

Michi.
michi
User
User

Post by michi » Sat May 27, 2023 08:39

Forgot to mention: when you soak your casings, add about half a teaspoon of baking soda to the soaking water. That makes the casings more supple, so they are less likely to rupture during stuffing.
snagman
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by snagman » Sun May 28, 2023 06:51

michi wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 08:04
Well, emulsified sausage always is a fair amount of work. To make it worthwhile, I make a larger batch, so I have to deal with all the clean-up only once.

Here in Brisbane, good Frankfurter/Wiener are as rare as hens' teeth, so it's worth my while making them myself.

Michi.
Four kilos is a large batch when I am the only customer……😊 I am sure you know of Adams up there, they don't do a bad one. Usually the commercial ones I generally get here, I smoke them again for a better flavour. Yes, the baking soda is part of my prep work for all except fibrous casings.
What else do you make, apart from these Michi ?
michi
User
User

Post by michi » Sun May 28, 2023 13:07

Four kilos is too much for me. I draw the line at 3 kg. That's the limit for my mixer and sausage stuffer.

I've never heard of Adam's. Where are they?

I've made a few different emulsified sausages. Wiener, Gelbwurst, Weißwurst, Leberkäse, Rügenwalder Teewurst, Emu sausage, Milzwurst, Rote Bratwurst.

So many sausages, and so few days left to eat them all ;)
snagman
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by snagman » Mon May 29, 2023 05:29

michi wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 13:07
Four kilos is too much for me. I draw the line at 3 kg. That's the limit for my mixer and sausage stuffer.

I've never heard of Adam's. Where are they?

I've made a few different emulsified sausages. Wiener, Gelbwurst, Weißwurst, Leberkäse, Rügenwalder Teewurst, Emu sausage, Milzwurst, Rote Bratwurst.

So many sausages, and so few days left to eat them all ;)

Adams Continental Smallgoods 206 Cobalt St, Carole Park QLD 4300. Worth a visit Michi.
michi
User
User

Post by michi » Mon May 29, 2023 06:22

snagman wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 05:29
Adams Continental Smallgoods 206 Cobalt St, Carole Park QLD 4300. Worth a visit Michi.
Thank you, will check them out!
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Tue May 30, 2023 00:18

Something pretty strange about this site lately. I have made posts and they disappear like magic.
When I log in and try to post it wants me to log in again....WTF is up with that?
This is the strangest forum I have ever belonged to.
Really to bad as it used to be one of the best.

My hotdog post on this subject got lost someplace.
michi
User
User

Post by michi » Tue May 30, 2023 01:22

Devo wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 00:18
Something pretty strange about this site lately. I have made posts and they disappear like magic.
When I log in and try to post it wants me to log in again....WTF is up with that?
This is the strangest forum I have ever belonged to.
Really to bad as it used to be one of the best.

My hotdog post on this subject got lost someplace.
I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary, other than that it's been pretty quiet for the past few weeks.

Michi.
jym571
Beginner
Beginner

Post by jym571 » Tue May 30, 2023 19:00

michi wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 08:04

Michi.
Michi .
Good morning, would you be so kind as to share your frankfurters recipe?
michi
User
User

Post by michi » Wed May 31, 2023 01:27

jym571 wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 19:00
Here you go. I've had good success with this recipe. The Wiener taste like I remember them from growing up in Munich. If you want to make Frankfurter, replace the beef with lean pork. (Wiener are made with pork and beef/veal, whereas Frankfurter are 100% pork. Otherwise, the recipe is the same.)

Ingredients:
  • 400 g pork belly
  • 300 g pork neck
  • 200 g lean beef
  • 100 g crushed ice
  • 18 g NPS (Nitritpökelsalz, 0.6%) or 16 g salt and 2 g cure #1
  • 3 g phosphate
  • 2 g white pepper
  • 1 g sweet paprika
  • 1 g nutmeg
  • 1 g ground coriander
  • 3 g onion powder
  • 1 g dextrose
  • 0.2 g ascorbic acid (vitamin C)
For Wiener, use 10-22 caliber sheep casings. For Frankfurter go a bit larger, 26-28 mm.

Method:
  1. Grind the lean meat and the fatty meat separately on a 3 mm plate.
  2. Put the lean meat with the NPS (or salt plus cure #1), phosphate, and one third of the ice into a cutter and process until you have a fine paste.
  3. Add the fat, spices, and vitamin C, and process to a very smooth and sticky paste. Gradually add the remainder of the ice while processing. The temperature must not exceed 12 ºC.
  4. Fill into sheep casing, twist into links, and let the sausages dry at room temperature for an hour, hanging them or placing them onto a rack.
  5. Smoke at 70 ºC for 45-60 minutes. Use a wood such as beech or apple (hickory or mesquite are too strong).
  6. Blanch at 75 ºC in 2% salted water for 15 minutes.
  7. Briefly shock in cold water and then let them dry in the fridge overnight.
michi
User
User

Post by michi » Wed May 31, 2023 12:51

michi wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 01:27
For Wiener, use 10-22 caliber sheep casings.
Apologies, that was meant to read "20-22 caliber sheep casings".
jym571
Beginner
Beginner

Post by jym571 » Thu Jun 01, 2023 19:33

michi wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 01:27
jym571 wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 19:00
Here you go. I've had good success with this recipe. The Wiener taste like I remember them from growing up in Munich. If you want to make Frankfurter, replace the beef with lean pork. (Wiener are made with pork and beef/veal, whereas Frankfurter are 100% pork. Otherwise, the recipe is the same.)

Ingredients:
  • 400 g pork belly
  • 300 g pork neck
  • 200 g lean beef
  • 100 g crushed ice
  • 18 g NPS (Nitritpökelsalz, 0.6%) or 16 g salt and 2 g cure #1
  • 3 g phosphate
  • 2 g white pepper
  • 1 g sweet paprika
  • 1 g nutmeg
  • 1 g ground coriander
  • 3 g onion powder
  • 1 g dextrose
  • 0.2 g ascorbic acid (vitamin C)
For Wiener, use 10-22 caliber sheep casings. For Frankfurter go a bit larger, 26-28 mm.

Method:
  1. Grind the lean meat and the fatty meat separately on a 3 mm plate.
  2. Put the lean meat with the NPS (or salt plus cure #1), phosphate, and one third of the ice into a cutter and process until you have a fine paste.
  3. Add the fat, spices, and vitamin C, and process to a very smooth and sticky paste. Gradually add the remainder of the ice while processing. The temperature must not exceed 12 ºC.
  4. Fill into sheep casing, twist into links, and let the sausages dry at room temperature for an hour, hanging them or placing them onto a rack.
  5. Smoke at 70 ºC for 45-60 minutes. Use a wood such as beech or apple (hickory or mesquite are too strong).
  6. Blanch at 75 ºC in 2% salted water for 15 minutes.
  7. Briefly shock in cold water and then let them dry in the fridge overnight.
Michi thank you very much for your recipe as soon as I have a time I will make it and I will tell you how they have been greetings
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Jun 04, 2023 16:01

The shaft on my Chinese bowl cutter seized up and it was out of commission for over a year. I finally found someone who was able to replace the bearings and it's working again. Have to make some wieners soon as it's grillin' season!
michi
User
User

Post by michi » Mon Jun 05, 2023 07:24

redzed wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 16:01
The shaft on my Chinese bowl cutter seized up and it was out of commission for over a year. I finally found someone who was able to replace the bearings and it's working again. Have to make some wieners soon as it's grillin' season!
Let us know how that goes please! :)